My DS, C1,and USA Truck experience

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by kcmofire, Jan 17, 2010.

1. kcmofire

kcmofire Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thats the life right there. I love me some steak, mashed taters, green beans. You may have changed me. Petro may become my new favorite. Do they like Pilot give you fuel rewards when you fill up and swipe their little card?

Ridinwithpride Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KD8FQB

KD8FQB Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah they have their petro passport. Neither Usa nor Sni ever really fueled there so I dont know how good that program is, but petro tends to have really good showers. My true weakness is those Chicken tenders at the J... I cant ever seem to pass them up lol

4. Ridinwithpride

Ridinwithpride Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Goose Creek SC
    Even a very forceful question is still a question. And sometimes it's not even in the form of a question. An example would be "I need you to be there at 0900 tomorrow without fail!" If that does not gel with what my logbook will allow me to do then, whether they asked a question or not, they're going to get an answer. I limit all of my communications to the Qualcomm or email so there is never any question about who said what and, once I tell them what I can legally do, I've never had anybody tell me to do something illegal. There's a written record so they wouldn't dare. I often wonder if many of these "the company told me to do something illegal" stories are simply a matter of the driver not being clear with the company, and in a timely manner, about what they can legally do. In 19 years of driving this has never been an issue for me.

5. kcmofire

Jan 4, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I dont believe that I have completely blamed USA. I am green and dont understand all the rules. No matter what when telling a story on an online forum there is always a shadow of a doubt whether it is the complete truth. I am a pretty hard worker. Im not really afraid to do anything. I think if I would have been anywhere else other than the NE I would have probably left and fudged my log book a little bit so I could find a parking spot. However being green and not really knowing the area other than MASS congestion my fear was an accident hurting or killing someone. What I do know is that I was dispatched with what I felt was enough time to pick up my load and go find a parking spot. Which is why I accepted it. Once finally loaded my 14 was done. I could not stay on the property because they locked er up. I sent a message that I was up on time and couldnt stay at the customer. The response I recieved was " load delivers at 9am be on time". I think it was going to NY. There was no way possible for me to complete this because it was after 9pm by the time I got loaded. So if its my fault ill take the blame. Now I know that next time I need to prepare myself a little bit better. I think the biggest lesson I learned is the macro that we use to send in our hours doesnt really matter and its not payed attention to. I put trust in a company that I figured had the best interest in me and doing things the right way. I learned that I was wrong. Oh well its over now and I am going to work for Swift and have a better understanding of how this works.

6. bigmikectn

bigmikectn Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Cleveland, TN
    KCMOFIRE, I am a former Swifty. They have a macro 22 that you can send in when you are under a load to explain situations like you have described. It lets you explain why you may be late picking up or delivering a load. It is designed to keep them up to date on load status and to keep a driver who gets in a jam with traffic, time taken to get loaded or unloaded, etc from getting a service failure.

Does USA Truck have a micro like that? Could you have used it? I am very curious, not trying to assign blame.

Thanks and good luck with Swift. My friends who still work there say with the driver ranking system, the new elogs and qualcom and the "plus one" system they have implimented they are getting lots more miles.

7. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    BINGO!!!!!

Companies are not perfect; drivers can be their own worst enemy.

Do these people actually expect us to believe that a company the size of USA will "direct you" to run when your outta hours? Communication would have cleared up all these issues. I never had any communication issues with my FM, I suspect its was because I actually participated in my career and communicated.

imagine the concept.......communications to avoid conflict? :biggrin_2554:

Communications to solve conflict? :biggrin_25524:

Nope.....companies fault, they did it, now give me my welfare check! :biggrin_25513:

8. Thomas0810

Thomas0810 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2007
    BlueRidge Texas
    I have been with them for 27 months and have never been told to run illegally

9. kcmofire

Jan 4, 2010
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Pretty strong words for someone that hasnt read the whole thread. I have never claimed it was the companies fault completely. I do take blame. Furthermore - Im not on here playing victim. I have told my situation and have accepted some - if not most of the responsibility. Please dont take my words out of context and turn them into something else. I am not even close to welfare. However I have paid taxes since I started working that has put money into the pockets of those who are on welfare and feel like I should be re-paid. You are correct that communication probably wasnt the best. I did what most truck drivers do and that is make a decision based on the information I have. As said many times I accepted a load that I had plenty of time to get to shipper and believed I would be loaded in time to leave and find a parking spot. Again my log book became sandwhiched between USA and the Law when my 14 was up after being loaded. I would rather bump heads with USA than a smokey. Now if there is any reasonable advice other than mis-informed attacks against me or the situation i was in that could offer more education to a green horn like me then please speak up. Otherwise the last few comments are out of context.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I worked for USA Truck for almost 7 months. In that time I was not asked by either of my FM's to run illegally. However I was put into a bad situation by weekend dispatch. Even after telling them I was very close to my 70 hours they kept me on a load. I finally stopped at the Pilot on the Conn/RI border on I95 out of hours and stayed there long enough to get a 34 hour reset. If my memory is correct I delivered 3 days late. I notified Safety the following Monday and somebody in operations got reamed over this. And yes everything was kept on the Q-Com because I refused to answer my phone.

11. KD8FQB

KD8FQB Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    In the 3.5 months I was with USA, I was asked to run illegally. Plain and simple. If I didn't they would have fired me. Logbooks to prove it too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.