My experience with Knight Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Smaggs, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My problem is I'm not getting compensated, as promised, for school payments and my pay is less than what I was told it would be at orientation. They have sat me out of town and promised me layover pay, but failed to deliver. I was also denied pay when I was dead heading around with one of their damaged trailers, in attempt to replace it with one that had a good chute so I could grab a load and go home for Christmas. Not only was I 24 hours late, I missed dinner with my girlfriend's family and didn't get paid for all that time, because the shipper closed and Knight didn't have a load to get me home, so I had to bobtail back to Phoenix with just barely the time to get one night's sleep on a couch, then they wanted me to head straight back out. I would be a fool to keep working for this company.

If I work, I'm telling Knight that it's okay to blatantly lie to me and rip me off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Maybe it's just the Phoenix terminal that sucks. I keep hearing good things about the Idaho Falls yard.

The Phoenix shop is a joke, too. They never do the work you tell them you need. I'm willing to bet I still have two bald drive tires on when I go in tomorrow to see if the work's done. They always forget to mark my service tags on my tractor and they usually forget to key it into the system, so then when I get a long run, I go to another terminal and they put me out of service for not getting my B Service done, thought it actually IS done.

Just seems like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing with these guys. All this stuff just started during December, too. They gave me a different dispatcher that always wants "favors". Do me a favor and take this run... 400 miles or less... then sit for a day, then take another 300 mile run.

I'm just tired of not being paid for my time. I'm already making trucker minimum wage... now I never see layover pay and they have been conveniently "forgetting" to reimburse me for things... So I waste more time on the phone trying to figure out where my money is. Meanwhile, the bills are late and now I have to pay late fees on rent and utilities.

If I have to live on the road, I need to make a paycheck that makes it worth my time.

4. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you hear about a tractor going through the wall into dispatch. It was me :)

5. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    With new dispatchers, these things tend to happen. Not only you are at the bottom of the driver totem pole being a newbie, if he is new to the company so is he. Stay on this guy for the little things he isn't paying for. If I ain't mistaking all xpay must go thru the division manager anyway with knight, so if your dm can't get er done talk to the division manager. Good luck to you.

6. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So Dave was only off by 3 months?

Welcome to trucking Smaggs- You were warned early on about Knight screwing you over by several members on TTR. All you are is a steeing wheel holder to Knight and they could care less about you getting home, being with your family or holidays!!!!

Again you were warned about getting ripped off with pay and crap equipment.

Smaggs this really bites but you were warned and warned again about Knight! It's good that you came on and told the truth but your first post was about how WONDERFUL things were and you didn't listen to the seasoned drivers who tried to warn you that you would be pretty much where you are now and about the time it took for the 'honeymoon' to be over. There are way more horror stories than sucess stories with Knight and unfortunately for you- you are another 'victim' of the Knight family's pattern of abuse and neglect! Here's another sad part, every week there are roughly 30 new drivers starting with Knight.

I hope you find something but you also have to remember you are just a number to a bottom feeder like Knight NO MATTER WHAT THEY PROMISED YOU!! They wanted a body to warm a seat and they got one!!!!

Again I wish you luck with what ever you do and I hope that you find something better than Knight but I don't think that will be THAT hard to do!!!!

truckerdave1970 Thanks this.
  7. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    I know your going to take this the wrong way and I do apologize in advance.....

What your saying shows you have a great attitude and are willing to attempt corrective actions to solve a problem. However what he just described is how Knight operates. DM's are not compensated for having happy productive drivers at Knight. They earn their paycheck making the company in any way possible. They made a lot of money off of Smaggs while he was donating his time getting their junk fixed and with co-workers like the guy who handed him that trailer, well let's just say if you still don't get it after meeting drivers like that you never will.

Smaggs I used to deliver 250 miles away in Oklahoma after trying to get home for THREE weeks. They had just dropped millions on that nice new Hutchins terminal but they never had freight coming to Dallas. Always tons of drivers sitting around without a load from all over but never any freight into Dallas. I've never worked for a company that didn't pay all MT miles, ever. Knight figures since your going home that's your pay. Their based out of Phoenix yet they can't never get you home? They lie and they steal.

Who knows what the "shareholders" expect in terms of "average weekly miles per tractor" probably 800...1000 miles per week? Who knows but their still making plenty of money off you despite you only bringing home $1200 bucks in December. After Knight there is no where to go but up.

sammycat Thanks this.
  8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    No worries, done the knight transportation thing already and really was just trying to encourage smaggs. We all know this time of year is a bad time to be job switching. I quit my last job on dec14 due to me blowing a head gasket and walking away. Don't want someone else to make the same mistakes I did. And ps I repeat my sentence a knight transportation was for 2 yrs so in no way taking up for the business degree college kids/desk jockies that knight puts in charge of your sentence. It all comes down to the bottom dollar and nothing else matters. Do not leave your job till the next is a sure thing smaggs. The knight thing is better than sitting on your #####. Bad time for job switching. Good luck to you

Dna Mach Thanks this.
  9. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Knight was fine while I was in the Squire division. As soon as I got a new dispatcher, things got weird. Blatant lies... sending me all these weird qualcomm messages that don't make sense. They would send me a load assignment without my preplan approval. Then if I was unable to make it they would blame ME for the failed load.

That, and a lot of other drivers fail to care for the equipment, which is what started the fiasco with trying to get home on time for the holidays. If I would have had a good trailer, there never would have been a problem.

Instead of helping me, my dispatcher gave my phone number to the shipper, WITHOUT ASKING ME and he simply pimped on out the door to go home for the weekend and holiday. How nice! I was left with some jerk calling me yelling at me and calling me stupid for not being on time. Little did the shipper care to know, I was trying to find a good trailer, so I wouldn't destroy a whole load of bananas when my reefer couldn't cool the rear of the trailer!

This is what I get for doing my job... and pretrips and I went REALLY far out of my way to try to fix things.

The original plan was to do a dry load in the Los Angeles are and deadhead home WITH PAY. Instead, I was forced to bobtail home and only AFTER I got home did Knight bother to inform me that I wasn't getting paid a penny at all for all my efforts or my drive home. As if it was MY fault that a bad trailer was dropped on me. Meanwhile, that other driver got home on time with the good trailer that I had.

I already tried to explain what happened to one dispatcher. I won't mention names, but he's an idiot and EVERY driver that has ever been to the Phoenix yard knows who he is. He's a ####### that tries to tell you how to manage your time and how to do things... he has no room to talk. I bet he's never seen the inside of a truck or trailer.

After he called me a liar and decided to HANG UP ON ME.... my actual dispatcher called me and actually heard me out. He even tried to tell me that there would be fallout against me... whatever that means.

I don't know what else to say. Everything is always the fault of the driver. Especially the one that actually does pretrips and gives enough of a crap NOT to load produce and ice cream on a broken trailer.

I like to work, but I'm tired of doing it for free all the time. December's pay was a joke. I would have easily made twice the money if I worked at McDonald's (fine irish cuisine!)

SlaveOf18Wheels Thanks this.
  10. SlaveOf18Wheels

SlaveOf18Wheels Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    WOW! That really sucks Smaggs. I'm keeping up with your thread as I was considering Knight too since I live in Phoenix as well and I'm laid off from my local driving job, and Pro Drivers is not really keeping me busy 5 days a week.

Glad you opened up about how they treat folk over there. I would be making a lot of sacrifice to go and work OTR, last thing I would need is for somebody to screw with me like that. Especially when all my trucking career I worked for union carriers. I'm having second thoughts about this OTR gig, I read a lot of bad stuff no matter what company.

Thanks for your insight Smaggs, I hope it works out for you brother.

11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah. Trying to keep it together. I'll see what happens when I stop by tomorrow. Will post again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.