My experience with USA truck and some general advice

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by ErgoSum88, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ALLDAY33

ALLDAY33 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Detroit,Mi
    I have A RAND MCNALLY GPS and I hear most companies keep miles loged through PC MILER. what is the case with USA TRUCK???????/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notezbngrn71

notezbngrn71 Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Stevensville, MI
    USA Truck pays according to Rand McNally mileage.

4. Electric_Hyena

Electric_Hyena Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Wow, thanks for taking the time to type this up! This is really helpful for a noob like me. I'm starting training at C1 in Fort Wayne, IN and USA is picking up the tab so it looks like I'm their slave for a year. haha The info you have provided is very helpful. I'm going solo as well and I'm hoping for the least amount of time home possible. The pay you described is exactly what I wanted to start so I'm very happy now. I'm sure I will do the same and seek a new career with another company once I gain enough experience, but it's nice to know USA is what I'm looking for to get my first few years on the road.

I look forward to working for them. I'm sure if I do my job well, keep my mouth shut, and try to deal with the random BS every now and then I will do well. Thanks so much for the info.

5. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    I drove for USA from 2004-2006. The company had its good and bads like other comapnies.

The Goods:
    1. Open door policy. I like the fact that you could go in and sit with your dispatcher or any higher up and address the concerns and issues face to face.

2. The hotel for orientation for an experienced driver was nice-(Holiday Inn- Ft Smith).

3. They remodeled the drivers lounge while I was there and it almost felt like you were at a dealership lounge versus the average drivers lounge

The Bad

1.When prepleanned, they would never send you the actual preplanned load until you were empty.

2. Maintenance was horrible. I went 100, 000 miles without a service until the engine stopped on a hot load in California less than 5 minutes from delivery. And even if you have an issue with lights, mudflaps, or something wrong with truck or trailer. You will be told wait til you get to terminal.(try explanining that to DOT in TX or CA). Note: DO NOT waste your time trying to get anything done at Vandalia,or Van Buren. And at Bethel, PA, the maintenance is good, but make sure that you leave your windows and doors closed at all times unless you want flies in your truck for the next month or so.

4. At the time, their trainer/ trainee program was a joke. As a trainer for them at the time, try picking up a student that s been on a bus for 2 or 3 days to meet you, and you get dispatched on a 1100 mile in less than 24 hrs in a 63 mph truck.

5. USA had a bad reputation of loads being very late or not being delivered at all. Even had a few instances that High Value loads were stolen out of yard and truck stops.

For a newbie, its a OK place to get started, just deliver on time, stay accident and ticket free for about a year, or until you pay back your schooling and find something better

6. AmbrosiaRayne

AmbrosiaRayne Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Ozark, Mo
    I have passed all my written tests and am going Monday to get my DOT physical so I can get my permit. I am looking to start school around mid July and was thinking of going with USA. My main concern is getting miles, I don't care about home time I want as many miles as I can legally log. I want to make money that is why I am going to driving. I know pay is not great til you get experience but as long as the miles are good I can make it. What can you all tell me about miles with USA and is there anything else I should know when considering them?

7. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    Look long and hard........all companies promise miles. Getting them is another story. My USA story is still unfolding........it might not end well. But I will keep my one year commitment. Good luck to you.

8. Green Machine

Green Machine Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Thats the only thing keeping me here right now...

9. goodchoice10

goodchoice10 Heavy Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    The Buckeye
    Its funny how unhappiness seems to abound right now thru the ranks of USIT.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    ErgoSum88 Yeah mate we hear ya i guess the short of it all is that when we make the choice to go OTR thats part of the life you choose to live, its like a coal miner once you become a coal miner you know that your away from home usually anywhere from 7 - 14 days it just part of that kind of life and their families understand that, its best to chose a trucking job where you can be home ever day and there are lots of those to chose from , you chose OTR and thats part of the reason why theres such a huge shortage of drivers cause everyone wants to be home which is far enough so the problem isn't the company cause they all do it, the issue is whether you and your family are willing to cope with you being away from home and thats that.

11. Green Machine

Green Machine Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah... My trucks been down a couple times in the last couple of weeks, but when I do get loads all I'm getting is 100-400 mile runs. MI, OH, KY, PA, etc... This isn't helping me about thinking of staying lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.