My journey with Jim Palmer Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigfish59, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bigfish59

Bigfish59 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Solo week, mid week update.

Just wow. I'm so lucky. /end sarcasm.

Day 1 was Friday. I'm given what was a training truck for new weekly cdl classes. It's a 2014 manual Pete with 576k miles. All but my first two weeks of training was in a 2018 freightliner automatic. This should be interesting!

The good news is I'm told this truck is on the high priority list for replacement and I'll likely be the one to take her to Springfield and get it replaced with a new or newer automatic. But I might have to drive her for 5 to 8 weeks. Sounds good to me!

I get my first load assignment. Bobtail about 180 miles to grab an empty. Then load about 90 miles from there and take to Tacoma Wa. All told, about a 800 mile load iirc.

On the way to picking up the trailer I pulled into and out of every single rest stop along the highway, just so I could run through the gears. Haven't shifted a manual since passing my cdl test. Grinding gears a bit but I'll smooth out.

Picked up trailer, got to a truck stop for some rest, and arrived to shipper a little early. Given a dock, and a easy backing. Hmmm, this Pete actually backs good with the lower turning radius of a freight. More forgiving, less oversteer.

Off I go! Scale out at 36k and I'm good to go. Even have a preplan for next load. I should be on time with ease.

Up jumps the first gremlin. Three to four hours out from my drop I get a check engine light. Pullover, look up the code and it's a blower actuator issue. It's like 1am or something and service can't get anyone out to me. So they tell me to try driving and stop if I get a loss of power or the red stop engine light. After about 50 miles the light goes away. I'm going to be late but will be able to make preplan on time. But my 14 will be done while they unload. Fortunately at the 2nd unload it was a 3am appointment and they had nothing coming in after. I took a 8 hr sleeper beforehand so they let me take my 2 right there at the dock. After the 2 I went to a little flying j 1/2 mile away and took a 10.

I'll update more later

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Did you have a choice of trucks ? I was told that you may have a choice in terms of standard vs. automatic sometimes.

4. Kodiakkodak

Kodiakkodak Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2018
    You hey what they give you. Anything new is going to be automatic

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I wonder if you can help on input?
    When JP recruiter called me. He said there was very little chance I would actually drive for JP. Said out of 500. Maybe one makes it. I asked why? He said to come on up and see.
    Can you help me to “see”?

Just to jabber. I really like JP. Rather close to my home too. When he called. I had everything planned. Was submitting apps. Besides everything else. Including cdl school paid for with grant. I was getting jury duty out of the way that month. I couldn’t leave...

genchau Thanks this.
  6. Kodiakkodak

Kodiakkodak Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2018
    It's a school where you need to be motivated. Out of my class of 5 2 got sent home before even getting in the road with a trainer because they couldn't deal with the pace

WesternPlains and genchau Thank this.
  7. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    @WesternPlains , I suggest talking to recruiter Skyler. Based on my experience and what I was told by the training manager:
    1. Out of our starting class of 5 he said odds were only 1 would remain with the company for 1 year and get the cdl education free.
    2. Two of our 5 quit immediately after getting their cdl. But JP pursues them for the $3500 contract.
    3. Everyone was given a job at JP the day they passed their cdl test.
    4. Everyone was given the opportunity to choose 48 state refrigerated (Prime loads contract in Wilson Logistics/Jim Palmer trucks), or 10 western states regional.

Regional operates out of Missoula so if that's close to you it makes it easier for home time.

Hope this makes you "see" better.

8. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    They are getting rid of manual transmission trucks. They use them for cdl training so you're not on a limited license. And there's drivers out there still in them. I was told that if a lease op wanted only a manual, it would be special ordered and take 6 months to a year to get.

I am in a manual now. But I'll probably be taking her to Springfield for her trade in very soon and they'll give me a automatic.

I much prefer the automatic. My ego doesn't need to be cool and drive a stick. Hell, auto is less work anyways. And handles the mountains great once you learn how to use it. They do have a manual mode, just no clutch to depress. Makes mountains great. Select a gear, set her on cruise 5 mph below desired speed based on best rpm for Jake's. Never touch the brakes. Let the cowboys smoke up the brakes passing you.

Bluedew, tscottme and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  9. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Being a new driver I want to learn on a manual and get experience on one as well so I have more opportunities in the future

Bluedew Thanks this.
  10. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    They teach on manual. They don't want you to have restrictions. Just know they are going auto in the future. They still have a lot of manuals though. Just everything new is auto

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Sharing the truck with your trainer is probably the hardest thing you'll do. Good job.

Bigfish59 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.