My journey with Jim Palmer Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigfish59, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Crete downgraded from Omnitracs to Peoplecrap because they said Omnitracs was not upgrading their software to be compliant with the ELD mandate. Until 2019, our Omnitracs equipment was legal due to grandfathering.

I strongly suspect that the old Omnitracs hardware could not be upgraded to modern ELD requirements, and Crete chose to buy cheap garbage Peoplenet rather than make a sound investment in new Omnitracs hardware.

But I do not know this for sure. Not familiar enough with ELD hardware, but I doubt very seriously that Omnitracs plans on simply dropping out of the ELD market completely in 2019.

Truckermania, Bigfish59 and Bluedew Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BlueThunderr

BlueThunderr Medium Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    What's the deal with our current driver's license ? I am from NY and I read somewhere that I will have to surrender it and get a MT license...Is that correct ?

4. Bigfish59

Bigfish59 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Yeah, you become a temporary, permanent resident of Montana while on your permit and when you test for license. Then on your home time you change it back.

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  5. BlueThunderr

Sep 11, 2012
    thanks for clearing that up..And I was also curious about what % of your runs are drop & hook ?

6. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    Drop and hook probably 60%? Maybe more. Hard to say. Feels like more.

Rattlayitdown and BlueThunderr Thank this.
  7. BlueThunderr

Sep 11, 2012
    Hey BigFish...I talked to a recruiter a couple of times already but I wanted to talk to a driver..Could I call you with a few questions ? Not sure how to message you on here though...Thanks.

8. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  9. meterman1976

meterman1976 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Sounds like its been good for you, im planning on going with Jim Palmer myself, but im also looking into Prime.

10. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    Meterman1976, I don't have any complaints really. A whine here or there but that's situational and normal. I like the regional gig with Jim Palmer. I know I'd hate myself if I did refer loads (Prime). I can't stand long waits at shippers and receivers, which is so common and imho at times just plain abusive. I'd go sideways if I showed up on time and had to wait 20 hours. I'm not here for detention pay. But refer does get you all over the country with both companies. Some folks prefer that. Which I understand.

Bluedew Thanks this.
  11. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    Hi Bigfish59, I'm considering Jim Palmer myself. I was wondering if during your training (D, C, B seat) you were able to get to your home from time to time?

Bluedew Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.