My Mercer Experience 8-31-15

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by BulletProof, Sep 5, 2015.

1. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    Haha. The first time I went to chicago, I went to a pizza place and told them "I want a large Chicago style pizza with every dead animal on it that you have". I got peperoni, sausage, ham, hamburger, you name it. Pizza probably weighed 20lbs. But it was delicious. The best pizza I've ever had though was in San Diego. We stayed at the US Grant hotel in the gas lamp district and there was a tiny pizza place on the corner called "NY pizza". I'm pretty sure I ate there every day for a week.

The Chicago pizza depends on where you get it. I got some from Gino's near navy pier and didn't care for it. Got another one from another place that I can't remember the name of and it was awesome.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Right on,

If ever at the Petro or Pilot in Monee, IL off of I-57 order from Aurelio's in Richton Park, IL... I believe they deliver to the truck stops in Monee and then come back and tell me who has the best pizza now :cool:

'Chicago Style" is just deep dish... I'm a thin crust guy but once in a blue moon I get the deep dish...

I bet that pie did weigh 20lbs with all that stuff on it LOL

BulletProof Thanks this.
  4. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I'll have to remember that if I'm up that way. I did find a place in Chicago a few years ago that will ship you pizza but it was like $200 to get it to Alabama. I decided to wait until I could just actually get up there.

I wish I could hang around up here for the food network food and wine festival that these tents I'm delivering are for. I'd probably go home weighing 220.

5. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I've hauled them from an event site in Pittsburgh back down to Florida and that load said 44,000 lbs also but was much lighter.

6. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    LOL... Ya pizza for $200 I would pass also... It was probably Lou Malnati's... Lou's is ok but certainly not worth that price...

Being your first time up that way, where did you end up getting parking at? It can get a little interesting...

On a side note just for kicks and giggles if you order Chinese food from the Majority of the places on any of the 5 Burrows in NY they delivery it to you on a bicycle... I thought that was hilarious when I was in Brooklyn... Its so much traffic that's how they "roll"

7. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I ended up at the Vince Lombardi service plaza (before the GW). It says 10 hour parking so I hope when I get back to the truck tomorrow that it's still in its spot and not towed.

Also, for people who have never been up 95 to here, I've spent about $150 in tolls. I'll have to spend a little more to get back to the Lincoln tunnel and then I think it's $90 for the tunnel.

I can't remember who I was talking to on here about the GW vs the Lincoln tunnel but another mercer van driver saw me at a truck stop in GA on the way up and came over to ask me about the flat bed side. He was nice enough to offer to help me measure my height. 10ft 10 inches from the ground to the roof so I should be good for the tunnel. I'm glad. I'd rather get out of the tunnel and be right at my drop than have to hit the GW and go all the way back down through Manhattan.

8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    it may be harder getting home wednesday than u think

BulletProof Thanks this.
  9. HalpinUout

Oct 2, 2011
    One thing I learned years ago when in that stretch is the NY Giants and the NY Jets both play in NJ at the same stadium... If it's game day forget about a log book... E-logs you gonna be in violation... I would highly advice looking ahead on the websites to check the games to see if home or away and plan accordingly....

I could be wrong but being at the Vince L you still have to cross the G.W. into NY so you still could have some fireworks in your trip... Them New Yorkers Luv's you southern boy's.... :bootyshake:

They Love me from Chicago also... Atleast they know there BS flys out my window as quick as they speak...

I'm big city bubba at 5'9 172... But heart is what counts... The fatter they are the harder they fall... :violent3:

BulletProof Thanks this.
  10. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I deadheaded a little over 500 miles home once because I couldn't find anything going home and I wasn't going to sit. Ill be home Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. ;)

11. BulletProof

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    I can go back south on 95 and hit the tunnel. It may cost a little more getting back on the turn pike and going down 5 .Iles and getting off but I think it was like $2 or something like that.

I didn't think about the football games. I'll check that and see. Maybe they'll both be away games.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.