My Mercer Experience 8-31-15

Discussion in 'Mercer' started by BulletProof, Sep 5, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

I like NY pizza... and Chicago pizza... but as long as a good to honest Grecian making it i'm happy.

BulletProof Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011

Most of your posts are good but you fell off the wall on this one... Must suck getting old... Chicago will out due New York Pizza... Anyone in Monee who wants a good pie post it on here before you get their and I will see to it...
    truckon from where you are at besides Pizza Hut have you tasted pizza? Dominoes doesn't count LOL

BulletProof Thanks this.
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Beggers pizza is pretty good in the Kankakee IL area, I grew up on Rosatis which is decent; sauce is a little acidic. Best NY pizza I have had is in Brooklyn, Dyker heights or Besson hurst, right where the Verrazano bridge touches down.

NY trip you can take the 1 train to the Staten Island Ferry and ride it for free. That station you have to be in the first five cars, at least back in 2008, since its small and 100+ years old. The Ferry used to sell beer too, its gets close to the statue of liberty. The ferry is probably a mile walk from the new world trade center. If you go to the MET museum touching central park they have a huge Egyptian exhibit, biggest outside of Egypt except Britain.

Fratsit and BulletProof Thank this.
  5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    One of the best things about where I live, besides the 70 degree winters, is the food. we have such a big melting pot population that no matter what you want, there is a first generation immigrant family running a restaurant for that type of food.

BulletProof and icsheeple Thank this.
  6. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    So, whats the latest on the Camping trip to NYC ?

77fib77 Thanks this.
  7. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    Sorry. Forgot to update.

Thursday, I took a bus into the city. Went to the 9/11 memorial and museum and walked around the city. I had a blast. Ended up walking a little over 7 miles by the end of the day. I'm still feeling that.

Got up Friday and decided to take the GW so I wouldn't have to pay to get back on the turnpike. It took me about 30 minutes to go from the service plaza to Amsterdam ave so it wasn't bad. I was going to get on Broadway but the exit said "passenger cars only". I didn't notice the sign next to it that said truck route. So I went on up to Amsterdam and headed south. Crossed over athe 155th and got on broadway. Called the customer when I was at 99th and broadway. It's 8:00 and he says "I've got another truck in here so I can't take you right now. I'll call you about 9:15". Wonderful. I'm 20 minutes out with no where to park.

I got on down to 51st and 11th ave (a block from where I had to deliver) and just parked against a curb. I figured someone would complain but no one did. He called about 30 minutes later and said he was ready. I got there and had to pull into the middle of 12th ave and back on to the pier. I was slightly blocking a bike path and an old man riding his bike said "what makes you figure this is ok"? My inner new yorker came out and before I thought I yelled "F*** off buddy". He made some noise and kept going.

After I got unloaded I was going to hit the Lincoln tunnel and get out of the city. I was on 41st street about 3 blocks from the tunnel and something in the mirror caught my eye. It was a yellow shirt. This black girl on a skateboard with a yellow shirt tried skateboarding to between me and a straight truck. I didn't realize what had happened. A nyc bus pulled up next to me on the right and the skateboarder was going by. The bus driver was a very big black lady and she was yelling at me. I rolled the window down and she said "did you see this dumb black b****" as she pointed to the skateboarder. I said no ma'am. She said "this dumb black b**** fell off her skateboard and it went under your trailer and she was trying to get it while you were moving. Your tire hit her and knocked her into the other truck and she bounced off of it and back into you. These stupid b*****s around here do stupid s*** and want to blame us because they're retarded". I could only imagine the look on my face. I said "well it would have been her fault". The driver said "you d*** right". I said is this the way I need to go to the tunnel? She said "yes go up 2 lights and turn left". I said thank you ma'am and have a good day. She said "you too booboo". Very nice lady.

At the next light, something happened. 6 fire trucks and 4 ambulances come flying through to the tunnel and they make us turn on to 10th ave. At this point I just decided to go back up through Manhattan and get back on the GW.

I got out of the city and since I was empty and didn't have anything lined up I wasn't going to pay to go back down the turnpike. I jumped on 78 and came over to Hershey PA. Got here about 4pm yesterday and the coordinator called and found me a load from painted post, NY going to Houston. It's about 150 miles from me so not too bad. I have to pick up Monday and be in Houston as soon as I can get there.

All in all, driving in NY wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Going back again would be a lot easier now that I know how to read their road signs. The hardest part was figuring out how/where to get on and off the bridge. The turns were tighter in Chicago than they were here and there are cops at every corner that stop traffic if you have to make a sharp right turn.

The adventure continues.......

larry2903, spectacle13 and whoopNride Thank this.
  8. running smooth

running smooth Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Celina Tennessee
    Is this not what is called as leaving the scene of an accident? Mercer phone messages say when bodily injuries occur it's a reportable accident.did you stop to check on this person?

9. BulletProof

BulletProof Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Alabama
    The person never said anything to me. She just kept walking down the middle of the street. If the bus driver hadn't said anything I would have never known. Apparently she didn't get hurt. Sneer never acknowledged anything happened

10. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Also bus driver might've exaggerated. If the girl would've got hit or ran over traffic would've stopped cause she wouldn't have been able to move. If she walked off then nothing happen. Luckily for everybody she was good

11. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    What happened to bulletproof? no updates in awhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.