My truck is frozen; advice?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kshaw0960, Feb 4, 2023.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Never seen one of those. Pretty neat.

cke, Oxbow and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    If you haven't already, change your filters, you could still have some gelling residue in there. Half our trucks gelled on Monday, even the ones that weren't, the boss still changed filters within a day or two as a precaution.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Great news!

Oxbow and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    So long as you overdose the fuel, so it’s not gelled, and have strong batteries, a 60 series will always start. You’re much better off with a generator connected to the block heater and a battery charger connected to the batteries, stirring the electrons. If the starter is getting plenty of juice, it’ll spin the engine fast enough to fire.

People want to get nuts with all these heaters and stuff. But, it takes a LOT of tight shrouding to contain the heat so it can do any good, which is difficult in extremes. Then, it takes a LOT of heat to offset the thermal losses.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Essential when you live up in the cold. Its indirect fired, kinda acts like a furnace in way. All the fire goes into the chamber and exhausts out the stack. Fresh air blows past the exchanger and out the end. Pretty common on construction sites in winter, they'll use them to heat the building's interior once the walls and roof are up so they can run the utilities, do the drywall work etc despite it being 30 below outside.

cke, Oxbow, Rideandrepair and 4 others Thank this.
  7. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    After you pour anti gel in the tanks, ask another driver to park close and take the second trucks glad hand, put it into the fuel tank and press the button to allow the air to mix up up the fuel in the tank.

8. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    I cheat. I have a heated fuel filter cover, arctic fox tank heaters and an apu that keeps coolant around 120 :p.

That said to the OP oretty much tow her to a shop and let it thaw out change the filters and hope nothing else borked.

Rideandrepair and Cat sdp Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Put some 911 directly in you fuel filters first. Buy a large tarp from Home Depot or Lowes and a small propane heater. Open the hood and drape the tarp over the entire engine, put the heater under the middle of the engine. With the tarp it will get warm really fast. Wait a half hour to an hour and your engine should fire right up. Its an old trick but it works, good luck!

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Was the truck running when “the air dryer hose broke” I’ve never heard of this happening

congratulations on getting it running

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  11. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    I've got the same - 379 with a S60, they really seem to hate the cold. I was in Rawlins,WY with the generator running overnight - 20 degrees but the wind was blasting. The block heater quit some time in the night - scan gauge showed 20 degrees coolant temp, did not want to fire up. I had to give it ether to get it to fire and it banged and clanked for 10 minutes before running smooth.

Best thing I could think of was to put packing blankets over the engine after shutting it off, facing it away from prevailing wind, install winter front overnight . . . or just run at high idle overnight.

With the 1500W block heater, in extremely low temps, it still sounds awful on startup. My generator has a battery tender, so I don't have to worry about enough juice to crank - it's simply that they hate the cold weather.

You're probably starting to realize why so many O/O's just park it till spring . . .:)

cke, Oxbow and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.