My Trucking Journey - J. Bauer Trucking.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by SRJ, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    You got this, SRJ! When you least expect it, things will align the way they are supposed to.

TB John, bryan21384, SRJ and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SRJ

SRJ Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Day 4 - Hooked up a trailer and headed out on the road from 8:30pm to 2:00pm. Drove the first 50+ miles heading west on a Highway 29 and then the remaining 100+|- miles driving township roads. Really focusing on my shifting, proper stop location, turns, lane usage and all the other of required skills needed to be a safe driver. Overall my shifting was much better than the previous days. Still some hiccups, AKA grinds or missed shifts. I’m recognizing this usually takes place when I rush it. Also when I’m concerned about holding traffic up.

Made it back to the yard and continued to work on my backing. Really feeling good in this area, but I will not become overconfident in this area. I took a bit of a break from my backing as my trainer, Bruce, was performing a CDL Class A test at the yard. I was able to watch, from a distance, the driver, seemed like a real young guy, perform his backing skills section. He was driving a manual transmission with a lowboy trailer. He did well and ended up passing the his test. It was great to be able to watch someone work through the maneuvers.

I finished the day with a few more backing maneuvers and then dropped the trailer and parked the truck for the night. As it was starting to snow and we are not sure what the weather will bring, if we get a considerable amount of snow, I will be working more on the Pre-Trip and some maneuvers in the yard. If the snow doesn’t come, we will hit the roads again and work on all the above. Overall probably the best day of the week so far. Hopefully I can continue to improve. FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

bzinger, Lonesome, bryan21384 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. SRJ

SRJ Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Forgot to mention I was issued a login for our ELD’s, PeopleNet, and we talked about basic functions of the system.

bzinger and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    If you're having problems with down shifting, let me maybe try something that might work with you.

Don't brake and then discover what your speed is, and then try to remember what the appropriate gear for that speed is.

Go to a DELIBERATE, pre-determined speed ending in 5. You can always accelerate again after the fact if you are a little too slow.

So what I mean is this:
    45 is 9th gear.
    35 is 8th gear.
    25 is 7th gear.
    15 is 6th gear.

Now of course the lower gears are going to be an issue after that. You're going to have to feel that out a little bit. But this will help you out in the majority of situations.

Hope that helps? Advice from a driver I met many years ago. Made more sense to me than the chaos of braking and trying to remember speed ranges for gears.

ChiRango, Lonesome and SRJ Thank this.
  6. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    In regards to holding up traffic my instructor said F!&$k em, go slow stay wide, they should have left sooner and they wouldn’t be behind you, get use to ticking off the general public and learn to ignore the hand gestures and horn beeps and G. O. A. L.
    You can go down a mountain to slows 1,000 times you can only go down to fast Once

bzinger, Lonesome and SRJ Thank this.
  7. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Thanks for the info. You seem to be doing well so far and it's easier said than done as far as giving yourself time to learn. My biggest issue is self criticism. I guess I've been at my job too long and I'm a supervisor so I train and help the newer people out. This would be entirely different.
    I've got a class A CDL from long ago when I worked full time at a co-op driving small straight trucks and pulling fertilizer spreaders and small trailers. I don't need the license I need the driving time and the time with tractor trailers.
    Thanks for updating the post and I'll be sending you a PM at some point.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    SRJ Thanks this.
  8. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    I'll bet you were on hwy 27.
    Thought he was lost.
    Then I remember seeing this thread.....lol

bzinger and SRJ Thank this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Years ago, had an instructor tell us, if he was making a right turn at an intersection, and cars in the intersection were in his way, he would just wait 'em out. He said many times, he had time to pull out a cigarette, and light it, while waiting.

Iampa and firemedic2816 Thank this.
  10. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    I’ve pulled air brakes on more then one occasion, it’s usually the ones that blow way past the white line and think SEMIs have to move,

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. SRJ

SRJ Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Day 5 - Started out doing a full Pre-Trip for my trainer and he said I would have passed for the CDL test. Missed a few items, which he went over with me after I competed the exercise.

Next he had me do his route he uses for his tests he does. Well let’s just say things went down the tubes. Shifting was atrocious. Tried to make a shift on a pretty steep hill and had to put the 4 ways on and come to a stop while obstructing traffic. I’m sure the people behind were having some choice words for me. Stress level 9.5, which totally took my focus. It was so frustrating. I made it back to the yard without hitting anyone or anything, so I guess it could have been worse.

Back at the yard, I took a breather and cleared my head. Thought about all the mistakes I made and what I needed to do to correct them.

Next item on the agenda was to complete a trailer inspection, in-can and brake check. Did a good job on that with only one missed item, the trailer door ties. Man I wish I could paint those things bright orange.

Guess what I had to do next? Yep another mock road test. Nervous as can be, I took a deep breath and told myself I can do this. Focus Focus Focus. Almost a night and day run from the previous disaster. Confidence built up a bit. Made it back to the yard and my trainer took me to much for a pretty decent bacon cheeseburger at a downtown tavern.

Heading back to the yard and did a front of truck, in cab and brake check. Trainer was scoring my performance and stated I passed. You can probably guess what was next. Yep another mock road test. Knowing this was going to be my last driving for the week, I really wanted to nail it. A few grinds, but even better the second round. Trainer advised my performance would have been a pass. Great way to end the day and week.

It is crazy to think of what I have experienced in one week. From never sitting in a semi-tractor to driving one with a 53’ trailer attached while also using a 10-speed manual transmission. Overall the this week has been extremely productive and I look forward to getting back on Monday. I was able to head home for the weekend. I arrived safely home and the kids and 3 dogs were happy to see me and here about my week. Have a great weekend everyone and we will pick up next week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.