National Carriers

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Ffx95, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Welp after a little bit of researching companies I finally found one that looks inviting and would also take a rookie in as well. Company is "National Carriers Inc" operating in Texas. Only issue is the greyhound is 40 hrs so I'm just going to take a direct 3 hr flight the ~130 bucks I save taking the bus is not worth all that hassle of constantly pulling my luggage when swapping trucks and those layovers.

It's funny how I thought back nearly a year ago when I resigned from CR England I thought I would never come back to trucking especially after all the BS that company has put me through. But month after month I started thinking more. I missed being on the road and taking in the view. I missed the small talk I would have with some of the older owner ops at the truck stops or docks. Although sometimes a PIA, I did like the challenges of backing into tight spots. And frankly I missed laughing at the idiots on the CB. What I didn't miss was getting forced to team with an idiot or train (even when I shouldn't be training anyhow). That was the main reason I left CR as soon as my contract obligation ran out.

Anywho, I said screw it and put my info on one of those truck job sites (I'm glad I put a burner number and a disposable email). Every email or voicemail they left I would check their site out first see what they had to offer, then I would check employee reviews from job review sites and forums, finally I would check things such as their CSA scores to get a rough idea of what kind of company I'm dealing with. Of those companies that were offering my I liked National Carriers best. Employee reviews were mostly positives, of course there were some bad reviews but there are some truckers out there that you can pay them a gold bar a week and lend them a shiny chrome long nose pete and give them all the miles they want and still find something to moan about the company.

What really caught me is how social they are on the social sites. From the looks of their social platforms they give off a family business feel. I've always heard from others that those are generally better truck companies and I thought I should give it a try. That and they allow solo only positions which is what I wanted from the start in CR. I have never been a too social person or should I say an introvert; I can socialize for maybe an hour but then I want to be alone.

From the emails I've received it looks like I'm going to start at .44 cents a mile. Being a rookie with a little under a year of experience I can say that's fair and I honestly have nearly no bills other than my phone and I help pay a portion of my family's utilities. Whether I actually do start at that amount we'll see later.

And from what I have heard from the forums and from what I heard with the recruiters, this company is very thorough. They want 10 years history and they want notarized statements for anything that cannot be validated any other way. I can respect that it gives me the impression they are a "NO BS" company.

Anywho I'm (hopefully) going to orientation in about a week and some change. I'll update this thread about my thoughts after that day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How about posting in the "Questions From New Drivers" thread also. Might help some new cdl grads make a decision.

4. Old-school trucker

Old-school trucker Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Mississippi
    Good luck. I worked there about two years ago. I was like you at first until I started getting those small paychecks. I just assumed all the bad reviews were just disgruntled drivers.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Welp I hope you’re wrong. We’ll see I have the flight tomorrow and I’ll give it a good 90 days. If I’m feeling shafted there’s no contract stopping me from quitting.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Day 2 of orientation. They’re REALLY friendly. They also won’t let you starve, you get breakfast lunch and a food voucher for a restaurant after leaving the terminal. The lot is tiny, if you can park a trailer in this lot you can park nearly anywhere.

Today I was just wrapping up the training videos they’ve assigned me. You can do them on the laptop they provide but I felt more comfortable using my phone. Training website works well on Apple phones not sure about androids.

Now the road test..... Now before you get the wrong idea they have plenty of newer and brand new trucks all vacant and ready for a driver. Anywho, the road test truck was badly maintained. From what I heard they recovered the truck from someone who quit and abandoned the truck I guess the company thought they’re better off using it as a road truck incase someone hits something or rips a bumper off. The steering at first was iffy but I can manage. Since I haven’t drove in nearly 9 months I know I’m rusty adding to my anxiety. I REALLY don’t want to hit anything EVER but god please if I ever have to hit something don’t let me hit it on the road test. Drove through the truck had a moderate pull towards the left more than normal so it probably needed an alignment. Anywho driving down the road making sure I read every sign and to keep strictly 5mph below the speed limit and maintain that speed. Took my turns wider than you should as I’m rusty and I rather turn wide than hit a curb or strike a pole. Had an idiot get between my drives and tandems when I was turning left on the turn lane but I caught it let him through and managed to turn safely. It went moderately well until we’re coming back at the terminal. The steering is starting to get heavy and I can hear the steering box whining.

Now the test instructor asks to park it on the side where the loaded trailers are at. Should be Relatively easy there seems like space for atleast 5 decently parked trailers. Now me starting to feel confident I said screw it let me back her in the iffy spots to show off. My dumb@$$... If my driving was rusty imagine my backing why the hell I decided that I have no idea. The iffy spot would need me to utilize all the space I have and turning the wheels all the way to each side a handful of times. Now comes the fun part; the steering gets god aweful heavy. On top of that I am completely unfamiliar how you safely reverse this #### thing. The Freightliners just need a slight tap of the gas and you ride the brakes. This #### thing needs about 30% throttle to react and then it’ll lunge and put me at a speed I’m not comfortable with than when you let go it goes to disengages the clutch completely. As I’m rocking the #### truck back and forth trying to straighten her up I’m seeing fluid on the dirt lot coming from the truck. Yup you guessed it the steering pump. After many attempts I just give up and try to park the trailer straight in the middle.

I felt like a complete dip####. Anywho they’ve advised me to stay a week with a trainer see if I get better. I just pray it was the truck that had a transmission issue or something I can’t imagine backing with such a clunky response.

Anywho I’m a little depressed because of that fiasco and missing my family already (what I loser I am already missing family at day 2 huh I used to do 2 months at a time with England). I don’t blame the company though they are very nice people you have any questions they answer also the drivers that come to stop by for maintenance and such have a good opinion of them too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Farmerbob1 and re3data Thank this.
  7. re3data

re3data Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2018
    I start orientation with them next Tuesday, really appreciate you posting here! Makes me feel better about skipping out on the mega I'd originally selected. One thing I really liked about National Carriers was that their recruiter was the first one that I'd spoke to who didn't sound miserable. Thankfully no 40 hour bus ride for me! I'm already in the area, so just a 30 minute train ride and a bus.

So sorry about your trouble with their road test truck. Here's to your next try!

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  8. re3data

re3data Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Hey! Just wanted to update you. I've only just gotten a CDL last month, so my road test was just driving around their terminal and parking it. They wanted me to do a 90, which I'm terrible at. I managed to aim the trailer right at the more difficult spot. But did manage to get it in there..

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  9. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
    Wait until they send you to a meat house in Dodg City and you’re waiting 4 1/2 hours past your drop dead time and they still expect you to make your original appointment at a Walmart 1600 miles away.

JForce28 Thanks this.
  10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I’ve been in that situation already. Funny enough after this load I’m going to dodge city again. I let my dm know the load has been picked up late from situations I have no control of and I probably won’t be able to make it on time and give him my estimated eta. If I get tired because they decide to call me pick it up 2 hours after I fell asleep I just stop and let dispatch know the situation. They don’t like it fire me but no load is worth my life.

11. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.