Need a new trucking job that fits my family situation better.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jnye34, Sep 27, 2021.

1. jnye34

jnye34 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    I'm currently doing ltl linehaul in Cincinnati, I really like it, but I don't think I can work nights anymore. It's a real strain on my family, so I'm looking for first shift work, I know it's going to be a big pay cut.

I'm planning to apply to work the city at Dayton freight, but I'm worried I'm not going to like city work. Also looking at fedex ground, it's linehaul day shift, which is perfect, but they pay way less money, and all the daytime runs seem to require working either Saturday or Sunday, which I'm trying to avoid.

I want to make a minimum of 70k, hopefully closer to 80k, mon-fri, want to start work no earlier than 6am, preferably a little later than that, don't think I can handle food service. I have never driven a forklift, no construction site or heavy machinery experience, pretty much just driving a truck. Where else should I be looking? Fuel delivery? cryo? propane canister delivery? I don't know if that stuff is all nighttime or day shift work. Thanks for any help you can give me.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    [​IMG]
    CDL A Truck Driver

CDL A Dedicated Company Truck Driver | Home Daily | $72k-$77k
    Requisition ID: 626

For More Information, Call a Recruiter @ 1-800-935-3131

Pay & Benefits

• Avg Annual Gross: $72,000-$77,000
    • $3,000 sign on bonus
    • Home Time: Home Daily
    • Tanker Experience Preferred But Training is Available
    • Need Hazmat Endorsement (or willing to get it)
    • Paid Holidays
    • Comprehensive Benefits Package
    Dedicated Driver Qualifications
    • Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL-A)
    • 12 Months T/T experience in the last 3 years that includes a minimum of 6 months tanker experience in the last 3 years or 24 months T/T in the last 3 years to qualify for the training program
    • 21+ yrs. of age
    • EEO/AAA/m/f/Vets/Disabled
    Known for our 100% dedicated truck driving routes, Cardinal Logistics has over 175 locations around the country with opportunities to advance your career through different dedicated routes. At Cardinal Logistics, we believe that those who drive our trucks are PEOPLE first and DRIVERS second. We know that makes home your most important stop!

Find out what real work/life balance is like at Cardinal! APPLY NOW!

4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    You might want to check out Hazmatinc.com (Hazmat Environmental) in Cincinnati. They have daycabs and haul hazardous waste in tankers and dry vans. I think some of the drivers stay local, but not 100% sure.

5. jnye34

jnye34 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    I saw an ad for cardinal but dismissed it because I always see their trucks in the middle of the night, so I assumed that was all they had, but it's always dry vans, don't see tankers so maybe they run during the day, worth looking into. I checked hazmatinc.com and they list the start time as 1-4am which is definitely not going to work for me. Thanks for the help!

Just passing by Thanks this.
  6. Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Don't. In my area Cardinal has dedicated accounts with Home Depot, GM dealerships and Nordstrom. Every account is different but the trucks all look the same. Each account has different start times and rates of pay. There is no central facility - a Cardinal Nordstrom truck will only go to Nordstrom stores and DC's and will park at the Nordstrom DC when the driver is off-duty. The only way a GM driver will work on the Nordstrom account is if Cardinal loses the GM contract and the driver chooses to stay with Cardinal instead of going on unemployment or search for a new job.

Dedicated is linehaul's slightly less fortunate cousin - you show up, you drive, you go home and get paid. The uncertainty of, "how much am I going to get earn this week" is gone. The unpaid work is minimized. The trucks are nicer and newer (my account leases and turns trucks in at 2 years). Check out JB Hunt, Ruan, Ryder and the other contract carriers.

jmz Thanks this.
  7. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    This is the way to go. Penske is another one to check out. They recently bought Black Horse Carriers, so there’s a large selection of jobs available.

8. John Joel Glanton

John Joel Glanton Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Texas
    Why can’t you handle food service? I used to see the Sysco guys around at restaurants during the day. Didn’t seem like a bad gig. I think they make good money and home every night.

I delivered beer. Hard work. Home nightly. They’re making about $400 a day now. Second loads and weekends often available. You can make six figures. And you won’t be fat I guarantee that! Also look for Coca Cola in your area.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Reason for edit: Spelling.
  9. jnye34

jnye34 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    I just turned forty, I'm back in the gym, but I'm still out of shape and over weight. I don't know if my body could take food service. I wish I could though, some of those guys have four day work weeks! Also I think most food service starts in the middle of the night, delivering to closed restaurants.

10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I don’t know if you would be able to start on days or not, but these people are on the north west side of 275/75. The pay looks decent and it’s mostly daycabs I see them running. I pass their Cincy location often. 7FFE665C-C9CD-4B21-95E0-1705F6625B2D.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  11. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Fuel and tanker work is mostly nights, weekends, and holidays for low seniority drivers. Id try to stay away from physical jobs personally but to get a daylight off the bat you might have no choice. Your best bet is city p&d. Unless a tanker outfit has a day spot. Which make sure you can’t get bumped out of it. Might want to do flatbed work which is banker hours. Ups Van package drivers has daylight hours you won’t use your CDL but you’ll make a comparable wage or better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.