Need help with figuring out how to use this asphalt tanker!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Dunnington64, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Dunnington64

Dunnington64 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2017
    Starting liquid asphalt on Monday and the company I work for only had one guy who did it and he decided to leave randomly so no one knows how to operate it properly.

I'm going to post some pictures below of certain things I'm unsure of. It's a 2005 Entnyre insulated tanker with heating burners.

I'm wondering what this valve is on the side of the pipe is. Wondering maybe it's a discharge relief line? Put the line in a bucket open it to clear out any leakage that's sitting inside the discharge vale?
    [​IMG]

This box just says hot surface and have no idea what it's purpose is. Has a small mini metal level on the top and bottom, maybe it opens up? Haven't tried yet.[​IMG]

I believe this is a air tank because the fuel tank is underneath the tanker but not sure if it pushes fuel to the side valve so it won't lock up form the tar?
    [​IMG]
    The lines from it go to the hand valve picture below.
    [​IMG]

We got the valves freed up but they locked up again. Will they be easy to open once thenasphalt gets inside the tanker? Any tips from the experiences wouldn't be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    The asphalt tank i pulled never had that system on them and we never pumped our own product on or off so l might be out to lunch here. but I'm going to hazard a guess that they used air to help clean out the line. So you would wait until the tank was empty. Shut the tank valve off open the small valve and hopefully the air would help feed any leftover tar into the pump. Are you pumping off with the truck or do they have a pump where you deliver to?

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Isn't your company going to let you run with someone for a few days?You're not going to learn anything from a few posts.Hauling asphalt isn't hard to learn but there's a lot of stuff you need to know.Come Monday ask your boss for sheet of the procedure from start to finish.

5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
  6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I think he mentioned that there was only one guy who knew how to run it, and he left.

Dunnington64 and KillingTime Thank this.
  7. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I'd get something in writing saying 'Since your one guy left and I'm not trained - if I F this up: I'm not liable.'

Beyond that... To the wolves! Learn thru crash and burn! With a modicum of decent sensibility, I'd hope.

RockinChair and austinmike Thank this.
  8. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Patty doesn't read. You've been here long enough to know that. ;)

TAfool, MJ1657, tucker and 7 others Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    You're right...it's been a hectic week and I hadn't had my 1st cup of java to jumpstart the gray matter.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Ya I know but I bet his boss knows how.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.