Need Negotiation tips

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    So I am needing to step it up here. Sometimes I am being under bid by others and I'm like dang they are getting a dirt cheap rate when I thought it was cheap already.
    So I want to see what advice we can share so help us make a better living. What words we need to say to the broker to be more firm and in control. Not to cheat them but to be fair. These trucks cost too much money to be doing favors.

Like an example. I would ask:
    are you able to go up any more?
    Would you be able to...?
    Could u help me out?
    Are you firm?
    To me sounds bit if a wimp with these lines.a

I think that is being nice and giving the broker the decision on if he wants to budge in his rate.

Like you need to be like:

I am going to need ... to run this load or I cant take it.
    The best I can do is ...
    The load is going to this area and that is a low truck to load ratio
    The ACTUAL miles are so and so so you are this hundred miles off and I will need $$$.

Or give a reason as to why you want that rate.

So you need to be more in control.

Now idk how often the load you guys get is already at a good rate but when that is the case I don't see why not to try to get a couple hundred extra. But if not then so be it. But on a good rate do you still go hard core on the negotiation like saying this is the best I got. Or do you just give in to the rate?

How much extra do you guys ask for in average?

And do you go by the 15 day average as your minimum rate? Do brokers refuse to pay even the 15 day averages?

Their are a lot of factors this is my thoughts. I wanna hear from u experienced hustlers here? Because so many trucks underbidding and freight gets cheaper and cheaper.

U may be like "man that's the best I got"
    Wait several seconds, give it a moment for it to sink in, then one of you guys will either agree or forget the deal. How often does this happen on negotiating?

Bc these brokers are trained pros or most are at negotiation. I just want a mutual rate we can both be happy with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I've negotiated in several fields, but never trucking. Principals should be the same...

Mr broker, for X $$$ you can get that load off your desk right now, get on to booking your next load. Does that sound like something that might make money for you? Then you be quiet...don't say another word. Force him to say no or offer another price.

It doesn't win every time, but you have to remind him of the benefit of stopping negotiations and accepting your offer.

When you ask in 57 different ways if they can pay more it tells him you might go lower.

By using my line it show him the benefit of booking this deal and move on to the next deal.

And...it leaves the door open. And...it's it's a hell of a lot nicer way to say I can't go any lower.

Offer a benefit for taking the business at your price, don't beg.

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Roadrooster, I had a long day on the phones today trying to get out of a tight spot. I probably made 30 calls. I gotta say that is some excellent advice. Thanks

FlaSwampRat and RoadRooster Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Set your limit for any load before you look,

If it isn't enough, then a simple no.

Then if asked, tell the broker what it will take with your minimal amount.

Opendeckin, PE_T, FlaSwampRat and 2 others Thank this.
  6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    I always have a number in my head before calling. Every now and than they hit that number , in that case I ask for even more and most the time they will come thru . The 15 day average can get you in the ball park but I wouldn't bank on it . Right now in low and high freight areas the brokers are killing the open market with these prices and they negotiate less and less . I do better on the Brokers boards than on DAT but still like to use DAT as a tool . Good luck

PE_T, FlaSwampRat, TTNJ and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It is not in the words. Or some eloquence. You have to know the circumstances. History of the lane's rates, what the recent average on it is, time of a day it is posted or you get a call from a broker and most importantly being able to recognize the urgency level to cover the load.
    Big brokers, who are typically selling their loads cheap, have deep pockets and at the right time will pay very good.
    Otherwise, if the circumstances are not in your favor, nothing really you can do with that verbal weaponry. In the end all of us are subjected to almighty market forces.

8. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    If youre in a deadzone full of trucks calling on PT lumber or brick just forget it.. There is no challenge, no tarp, nothing specialized.. The lowest bidder will be the one subsidizing that move. Stay out of these zones is the best weapon.

When you are calling on the best paying load to hit the board, its not your suave demeanor, its your competence. It pays good to get the competent to call, because there is something critical in the job. Could be the securement, the location [a WV pipeline site perhaps] or the schedule.. Maybe riggers will be on the ground waiting.

You tell the broker how competent you are, never by talking you up.. But by asking the right questions rapid fire like it is childs play to you, its all you do is knock out the stuff other guys screw up. How much dunnage, what size tarps, does it spec chains or straps, dock hours on pick, dock hours on drop. Its a machine? I need all dimensions.. Are we sure on those dimensions? My deck is 55" high, did they measure from the floor or the wood blocks the machine is on, and does it have levelling pads that are cranked up? Does it have a chip conveyor or smog hog? Did they drain the machine? Whats the value on this move, i need to make sure i have enough cargo coverage etc etc etc.

I prefer to ask enough pertinent questions that the broker actually worries about his own butt, gets off the phone with me, calls the shipper then calls me back with more answers. In that scenario you actually become the guy theyre counting on to keep them out of trouble since they had no idea it was so complicated.

Once their faith in you is growing, then talk money matter of factly. Not "can you...?"

"Ive got the gear and know the job, my price is this. I have to return some other calls. Call me back if your customer wants me to run it. Thanks."

They may not let you off the call. This is how i get a small partial out of north east that pays better than a full load of tarped lumber to the same place. Seek the complicated and deliver.

And yeah i am a noob. So what. I deliver.

fordconvert, Opendeckin, PE_T and 5 others Thank this.
  9. SoDel

SoDel Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Southern Delaware
    Opendeckin and PE_T Thank this.
  10. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    When they ask you to (give) them a break on price. Response - I only give away bubble gum & dic.. , I’m out of gum. Disclaimer - this tactic was commonly used in contract negotiations 15-20 years ago. Nowadays it will probably result in a sexual harassment suit or a proposition your not going to like.

FlaSwampRat and stayinback Thank this.
  11. Gutter

Gutter Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Duluth, Mn
    Lately, most of my loads cancel before I even get the rate con back. So many low ballers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.