Need some advice on backing an automatic 17 international pro star

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DevilDoc84, Sep 25, 2017.

1. DevilDoc84

DevilDoc84 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2017
    what’s going on ladies and gents?

I just started with Roehl and have been only driving a year now. Roehl gave me a 2017 international pro star automatic. Awesome truck except when it comes to backing the #### thing. If my wheels are turned and I barley give it some gas it hops and bounces so bad side to side. It’s almost impossible to back this thing. I’ve only had two loads so far both have been light but I don’t think that’s the problem. What am I doing wrong? I’ve only ever drive 10 speeds and 13 speeds. Let me get into the problem I’m having a little more:

If I’m backing and have the wheel turned say doing an alley dock It feels like it’s almost stuck so I just give it ever so slightly some gas and it just throws me all over the place. The cab jumps back and forth like I was doing a ####ty shift in a manual. When the wheels are turned on this when backing it’s incredibly hard to back without being rocked side to side violently. It’s embarrasing as hell as well. Does anyone else have this trouble backing an automatic? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Smut and snowlauncher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I think all automatics do that to some extent not just the international... It will get better if you develop a softer touch on your foot.

MrEd, Smut, snowlauncher and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. FLCRACKER

FLCRACKER Medium Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Lorida, FL
    Try very light pressure on the brakes while giving some fuel. All of the eaton autoshifts I've had have centrifugal type clutches. You need to keep the engine wound up to keep the clutch engaged, while applying slight brake pressure to control speed.

Lepton1, FlaSwampRat and mitrucker Thank this.
  5. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    I have a 17 international mine doesn't really jump around unless I try to push the pedal in to fast I was surprised by how it doesn't really jump around cause I used to have a 08 Volvo years ago and that thing was horrible lol

6. trklife18whls

trklife18whls Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2017
    ok so from what I can tell, you have the automatic. and it's a prostar. if i'm right then its the push button shifter. is this correct?

7. trklife18whls

trklife18whls Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2017
    prostar? automatic... it has the push buttons shifter just below the a/c controls correct?

8. semicrazykattie

semicrazykattie Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Phoenix, Az
    My advice is when you get back to your home terminal tell them you want something with an actual freaking clutch and a shifter- even if it's an older truck!
    Automatics are unsafe, worthless and just make you lazy!

QuietStorm Thanks this.
  9. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    Look in your manual. If it's like a Cascadia you hold the foot brake down for a few seconds and it locks the tranny into a slow crawl.

Omega1 and rachi Thank this.
  10. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    It's not. Different transmission altogether. That Eaton auto is a . Best advice is light pressure on the brake pedal while backing.

11. ladr

ladr Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2013
    GA
    That's why I said if and look in your MANUAL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.