Need to go local in Brooksville, Fl.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mars Ultor, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Mars Ultor

Mars Ultor Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Hi folks,

So I've been OTR for the past several years, but I need to switch to a local position in or around my hometown of Brooksville, Fl. I'm not in a hurry, I dont need to get off the road right away, and in fact have till around may of next year to make the transition. I'm hoping to make $30.00 an hour or more if possible, and have a fairly clean driving record. No tickets in the last 3 years, no DOT reportably accidents ever, no failed drug tests etc.
    I've worked for 4 companies in the 5 years I've bern driving, one company twice, and I have experience with Dry Van, Bulk Pneumatic Tankers and Reefers, I have every endorsement but passenger, and a valid TWIC card.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    @Chinatown

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

Are you near any of these places?
    Pritchett Trucking Inc

Local Truck Driving opportunities with Pritchett are available in the following locations:

Palatka, FL | Lake Butler, FL | Jacksonville, FL | Gainesville, FL

Ocala, FL | Tallahassee, FL | Valdosta, GA | Crestview, FL

Ormond Beach, FL

5. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Sometimes new drivers can get on with Walmart Transportation and get a local run.

bryan21384 and Opus Thank this.
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    There are several tanker companies near you.

Bynum and FlowTrans in Auburndale, Oakley in Lake Wales, Indian River in Winter Haven, Quality Carriers and Florida Rock & Tank in Tampa. There are probably some local fuel hauling companies nearby as well, perhaps @lual knows their names.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Takes years to work your way into a truck at publix. You have to start off in the warehouse even if you already have a CDL.

celticdriver23 Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I 2nd the Walmart idea. Isn't there a DC in Brooksville?

10. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Venezia has a terminal in Brooksville. Not sure what they're paying down there but when I worked for them they always were talking about all the work they had there. Pretty sure they're running dry bulk and asphalt

11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    All the following comments are made with the assumption that....by going local only....you want a decent/short commute to/from work (i.e., 30 mins or less).

In the Brooksville area, arguably your best option is Walmart....IF they have a DC near there....& IF they have an opening....& IF it is in fact a local gig.

The above comments about Publix are accurate -- you'll have to get there from working on the inside. Yes, it's a sweet gig -- & lots of steady, highly recession-resistant work. A loyal customer base, too.

Past all that -- as I see it, your basic problem is a lot like mine -- you live/reside in a "doughnut hole" for many good trucking jobs. Another issue: many local-only CDL jobs in the northern half of FL seem to have flabby pay, compared to elsewhere. :(

If you decide to pursue fuel delivery -- given your level of experience, safety record...& credentials...see if you can score a gig with one of the private fleets, first: Pilot/Flying J, Energy Dispatch (aka, Racetrac), etc. Better pay, better bennies, overtime after 40 hrs, etc....make the private fleets pretty much where it's at. The private fleets generally have done a really good job of locating each store's fuel tanks/drops away from the fuel pumps -- segregating you & your job well apart from the idiot/maniac motoring public. :rolleyes:

ONE EXCEPTION: I would avoid Circle K. They simply don't maintain their stores/equipment anything like the others do. :confused:

If you find there simply are no private fleet opportunities where you are -- look for other fuel jobs that pay by the hour -- or, at the very least...pay by the load -- but WITH A GUARANTEED WEEKLY MINIMUM.

I would consider beverage/food service/delivery work ONLY if you are in really good shape physically and/or you are ex-military (Army, or Marines).

I pity those delivering store merchandise going up & down a metal ramp -- in the rain. :rolleyes:

-- L

Numb, Cardfan89 and ducnut Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.