New Driver, First Citation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lmrga4281, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Lmrga4281

Lmrga4281 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Last night (2am) at a rest area in Florida I turned too sharp while leaving and my trailer scraped another driver's trailer that was parked in the last spot.

No damage to the trailer that I scraped. Minimal damage to my trailer. Peeled paint and some abrasions.

The other driver and I were going to go on our way after switching insurance info, but the rest area security guard called the Florida State Troopers. He yelled at us to stay in our trucks until the authorities arrived.

The trooper gave me a citation for careless driving.

How should I handle it? Will CSA be affected? What kind of weight does a careless driving citation carry?

I am obviously at fault. I grazed a parked CMV. I am just looking for opinions or suggestions.

Note: Clean MVR (until now) and new CDL holder (3 months). In my mid-40s.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    If you guys traded info you did not need to wait for the trooper. You would have been just fine to be on your way. I had a JB driver do that to me a few years ago and I sent him on his way as there was no real damage to either,,

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Doubtful the rest area rent-a cop had the authority to detain you. I would have ignored him and been on my way. If I was the lest bit concerned though, would have done a flip-flop at the next exit, then pass the rest area headed the other way and done another flip-flop and been on my way. If the police was looking for you, you would have been behind him anyway.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If you have not already done so, you need to notify your safety dept and make up your mind. You going to fight it, or just pay the fine. If you had no DOT inspection that lists this violation stop worrying about CSA. that other stuff you can find out by calling the number that should be on that ticket.

Lmrga4281 Thanks this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just want to add. I would also take care to make sure you are FULLY aware of FMCSA rule 383.51. table 2. Once this ticket AS IT IS NOW hits your MVR and you get a 2nd reckless ticket within 3 years you are subject to have your CDL suspended for 60 days. Trust me, you DO NOT want a 383.51 suspension on your DAC. Not trying to scare you, just to wake you up, next time take your time.

x1Heavy and Lmrga4281 Thank this.
  7. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    main reason i sometimes hate security guards in most places...always on a power strip when really what they should do is to just become a real cop lol next time just kick them to the curb

Flat Earth Trucker and Lmrga4281 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    That is why I valued many places without people. Winslow AZ comes to mind thereabouts. You could take her over the hill and be in a really good peaceful place for a while.

Tinpot security full of illusions of power ticks me off to no end. Some of my birds do better to puff up during courting at the feeder sometimes.

9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    He received a 'careless' ticket, not a 'wreckless' ticket.

dibstr Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Noted, thanks. Advice about 383.51 is still sound. Everybody needs to be mindful.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You need to learn that the csa thing is not important, your MVR is.

You guys with this csa crap amazes me, concern what points you get but ignore what it does to your MVR.

Fight the ticket.

By the way there is always damage to both objects when you hit something.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.