New guy looking for direction

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Truckingdaytrader, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Truckingdaytrader

Truckingdaytrader Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2022
    Hello. I got my CDL 2 months ago. I just got back to the states after an extended vacation. I am 43 years old. I live about 1.5 hours north of San Francisco. I have been on here and other places and talking to guys like @Chinatown and some other helpful guys trying to learn as much as possible. Ive also been looking at job openings and trying to get as much of an idea as possible about what the different jobs are like without actually doing them.
    From what I have seen it seems that hazmate tankers, especially cryogenics, seems to have the best pay and home time overall. I am going to get my tankers and doubles/triples endorsements this week or next. I am also going to start working on my hazmat endorsement this week as well.
    I am aware that I won't get a high paying hazmat tanker job out the gate. I know I will need a year or two of seat time first. I am going to treat my first 2 years as training. I am thinking about applying to a dairy company near me driving milk and water tankers...
    I am looking for any advise you guys might have for me to help me accomplish my goal and / or type of work I should look for to get my start.
    Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hauling logs pays really well and keeps you in rural areas.

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Most trucks have OBRs now, logs are obsolete,,:laughing-guffaw:
    Don't be so sure, a tanker outfit may put you through onboard training, I've done that with several jobs. I'd stay away from milk or water, fuel drivers, if you have the grapes, are always in demand. I don't think much in the way of trucked goods goes out of California, everything comes in, so an OTR job will take you far away, I'd stay local. You may like freight hauling, predictable, good pay, all local. Line haul, ( do the same thing every day or night, usually all drop and hook), dump truck, heck, even garbage trucks pay halfway decent today. If you can, try and prioritize better, and go from there. Otherwise,it can be overwhelming. Good luck.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    By logs I meant trees. One of the mods on here owns logging trucks. @REO6205

Truckingdaytrader and REO6205 Thank this.
  7. Truckingdaytrader

Dec 27, 2022
    He already tried to talk me out of logging in another post.

8. Truckingdaytrader

Dec 27, 2022
    By grapes are you saying vineyard jobs? I live in the middle of them in Sonoma and about 45 mins away from Napa. I don't see any job listing for them though.
    What is the deal with line haul? Nothing seems to pay as well as tanker hazmat. Whats up with line haul pay wise? One near me is paying 140k but requires 2 years experience.
    What do you mean by prioritize better?

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I think grapes is a euphemism for male reproductive glands.

Truckingdaytrader, ducnut and tscottme Thank this.
  10. Steve357

Steve357 Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Try Button Transportation out of Dixon. I worked there for a spring/summer hauling aqua ammonia to local rice fields.They hire new guys, plus the pay was good for the hazmat stuff....but they will work your ### off during the season!!

11. Truckingdaytrader

Dec 27, 2022
    Thanks... I am
    Thanks! I am looking to work my ### off. Unfortunately, I am so far away from everything! I am looking at possibly re-locating. Not sure yet... May have to take whatever near me for a few first.
    Screenshot_20230206_151041_Maps.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.