New member question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Dec 23, 2023.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I put mine in a skid and drop it down on a 3x5 by about 26” long piece of rough sawn oak.

A block of wood is a lot more useful than those rubber things.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Agree. Laziness. Another one lost a jack out of the trailer because he was too lazy to padlock his door ( company policy) and it popped open after hitting a bump. Unsecured jack came out on the road. Thankfully didn’t hit anyone.

4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are definitely rules for securement in van trailers. From FMCSA:

General Rule
    Cargo must be firmly immobilized or secured on or within a vehicle by structures of adequate strength, dunnage (loose materials used to support and protect cargo) or dunnage bags (inflatable bags intended to fill space between articles of cargo or between cargo and the wall of the vehicle), shoring bars, tiedowns or a combination of these.

5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    But there aren't specific ratings and methodology mandated by fmcsa like there are for flatbed. Just about the only time you'll see a "load securement violation" with a dry van is if there was an accident and the load shifted or its a hazmat load.

6. The_vett

The_vett Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    Yep, even people.
    Plastic will eventually smother us. Whoever began
    "Save a tree use plastic" didn't think that idea all the way through. o_O
    off topic so I will take the carpet , a magic one , and fly away.

7. jgarciajr40

jgarciajr40 Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2016
    My general rule:

barrels, liquid, 7ft tall skids, too heavy items(air compressors), hazmat, etc

should all be strapped. I try to load the way I want to be loaded, but never get the same courtesy.

I always tell the new guys you never want to be the guy that tells management you didn’t strap a barrel of oil/acid and that’s why it spilled all over the equipment and other customers freight.

I also strap across the pallets on the tail. I try to tell the new guys it’s a safety thing for the inbound crew at the sister terminal.

No one wants to open a door, and freight lands on top of them.

i had a trailer door struggle to open once, and so I thought “you know what it’s probably an old door and rusted lemme get a forklift to get it open”.

as soon as I raise the door about a foot three pallets of tile come crashing down….

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  8. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America

We’ve been having a LOT of issues with Minneapolis not strapping stuff on the tail. One of our dock workers dang near got hurt opening up a trailer last week. Manager was not happy with Minneapolis.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.