New owner operator and buying a house

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Sep 22, 2020.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Your funeral, pal. Such uncertain times, I wouldn't do that in good times. I did it wrong 20 years ago, and learned, never combine home and business.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    For self employed, banks need 2 years of tax returns showing your income plus two recent paychecks.

Before purchasing a house make sure you get a mortgage broker who knows what they are talking about, ask them the requirements for each type of loan you want and if you can’t meet the requirements don’t do it.

Be a company driver save and build up your reserves. Start next year or when this Kung Flu bs is behind us.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  4. User666

User666 Medium Load Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    If you're on PUA or other forms of unemployment you won't be eligible at all. Why would a bank lend you so much money when you aren't even generating revenue and/or employed? I know all this because I just went through it all personally. I'm currently living in a rental because the Feds decided to change the lending rules in the middle of the game. Pretty cruddy IMO. I was very shocked to learn that 99 percent of ALL mortgages go through the Feds. They have a monopoly on mortgages. So much for the "American Dream" when they take away all your options.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    TexasKGB Thanks this.
  5. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You never put your house up for anything.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    My thoughts?

stay a company driver and rent the house from the new buyer.

I can’t see how you would even qualify for a home loan being unemployed, credit isn’t that loose.

TexasKGB Thanks this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I just bought a house... Banks dont like to do morgages with anyone who is paid "piece work" (cpm) without at least 2 previous years of W-2s at said employment.

As previously stated, bankers dont understand trucking at all... I happened to luck out and my Loan Officer is a personal friend, whos husband is a Trucker. And they previously owned thier own trucking company and ran it together... That came in very handy as she knew how to get underwriters to calm down about my employment.

8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Consult someone ( pay a professional) who specializes in financial planning to give you an objective answer.

Super-Trucker and joseph1853 Thank this.
  9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Make it easy and go buy a double wide. 1969 model for $2,500

joseph1853 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get a rent-to-own home. Most real estate agents can guide you through that. I looked at that myself at one time. Friend of mine did it and years later still has no regrets.
    Keep the home and trucking finances separate; this way your home and family are secure. Might lose the trucking business, but not the home. Of course, hope your trucking business is successful, but sometimes things happen we can't prevent.

joseph1853 and TallJoe Thank this.
  11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    You forgot to tell them you’re an essential worker, without you, the doctors couldn’t work, no one would bring them their masks or oxygen tanks to the sick on respirators.

D.Tibbitt, joseph1853 and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.