New owner operator

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cowboi, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Cowboi

Cowboi Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Hello, I am a new driver and I am looking to buy a tractor and trailer. I live in Boise idaho. I am trying to determine what kind of trailer to buy. I have checked several load boards and and it seems that there are equal opportunities for refers, dry vans, step decks and flat beds. Can anyone give me some advice on which way to go. Also what load boards serve my area the best? Thanks so much for your help.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Business plan sir?

SixShooterTransport Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I won't get into the reasons of why you shouldn't buy a truck until you have worked for somebody else for a couple years because I know that you are about to get blasted by several other drivers for even suggesting that. Having said that, if I lived in your area I'd get a reefer and use it for both chilled loads and as a dry van. Idaho grows a lot of produce, and you'll probably want to work those loads as they become available seasonally.

Lepton1, Captain Canuck and jbatmick Thank this.
  5. Cowboi

Cowboi Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I am currently hauling cargo trailers throughout the northwest. I bring back vehicles. While the money is not bad It’s a lot of hands on work. Im getting older and the idea of no touch freight is very appealing.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Then you dont want open deck. Reefer it is.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Cowboi

Cowboi Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Steve, I appreciate your candor and your advice

SteveScott Thanks this.
  8. Cowboi

Cowboi Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks Rusty, makes a lot of sense. Where would you suggest I look for the highest paying loads?

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Before you do anything you need to call an insurance agent and check for insurance.

For new entrants especially with little or no experience insurance rates are astronomical. It may shock you when you get the price.

Reefer is even more expensive because you're hauling perishable loads and claims happen.

If you have enough experience to lease on somewhere that would be the least expensive way to get started- IF you have enough experience for someone to accept you.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Do you think it's a good idea to ask your competition who their customers are?

Ruthless, spyder7723 and driverdriver Thank this.
  11. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If you're going out on your own under your own authority, there are load boards you can use. I'm leased on to a company that has their own load board. It works for me and I prosper from it.

If you ask others under their own authority that question, the answers you get will probably be fairly vague. Nobody is going to spoon feed a noob to make him successful. You have to beat the bricks and take your lumps just like they did.

exhausted379 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.