New to car hauling. Looking for recommendations.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Sadig, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Sadig

Sadig Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2023
    As title says, I am new to car hauling, but not to trucking. Want to switch to car hauling. What is better for 7-8 car trailers? Wally-mo or Cottrell. about truck I have volvo vnl860

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Wally MO will not last, rust out quickly. Cottrell is probably better, but what part of the market are you going to? Auctions, or new vehicles? The trailer can be made for the vehicles you will be transporting. DOT requires 1 million liability as the vehicles are classified as Haz Mat, because of gas and batteries, but you will not need haz mat authority. You need to get your 5th wheel slide moved back almost to the end of the frame rails. Also, self contained system or are you going to have a wet kit on your tractor. A common load board is Central Dispatch. Find a lane you like and work it. Be careful many trailers have had fires because the packed wheel bearing run out of grease. Oil bath wheel bearings sometimes leak, but last longer. A trailer that has air bag drops and risers may help getting over curbs etc.Older trailers rust from the inside out, so trailers over 5 years old can be a poor investment. Securing with wheel straps is for new vehicles, but rollers with chains with a RTJ hooks work also. Extra hose ends and fittings and hose are always useful. Get an account with Pirtek for hose repairs.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    lual, Shanebklyn, Sadig and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. Sadig

Sadig Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2023
    Thanks for detailed answer brother!
    I am planning on carrying any kind of car, whatever comes. Mostly probably will be from copart, or used car dealership orders. What is the difference between self-contained or having wet kit in truck required trailers? Some trailers for sale says in description that it requires PTO to operate. Forgive me for my ignorance, I am completely new to car hauling. Trying to get as much as information as possible before I buy something

5. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    There's two ways to power the hydraulics. One uses a heavy lead from the truck to run a self-contained electric-motor driven pump. Those are slow. The other way uses a pto on the truck driving a hydraulic pump, which is much faster and more reliable at the expense of higher initial costs.

Sadig Thanks this.
  6. Sadig

Sadig Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2023
    Does it mean I should look for the ones that says not self contained?
    And do you also say cottrell over wally-mo?
    For starter 7 or 8 car trailer better?(I have trucking experience not car hauling)

7. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Getting in car hauling without getting experience as a company driver, is the number 1 death of new owner operators in the business. If you aren't hauling cars that do not run and are severely damaged. You will get bogged down in damages. Especially if you get into new cars , even if you don't damage it there's a ton of fraud in car hauling. If you pick up a car from a rail yard and underneath the back passenger seat there is a tear in the fabric, oh well looks like you'll be coughing up a couple hundred dollars if the dealer sees it . You accidentally drop a tool and scratch the door? Better buff it out if you can or that'll be a couple thousand. Most the owner operators I met who didn't start with proper training are usually bankrupt in 15 weeks. I'd suggest if you are serious about it go ahead and put aside 10k for damages or go work for a company that will train you and pay for your beginner #### ups. You don't know how to inspect a car yet you won't know until you meet a dealer who is dying for a damage claim.

EvertonP, Tron, Sadig and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Sadig

Sadig Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2023
    Very good advice. I haven’t thought about it, I will definitely consider getting proper training under other company or will put a side couple thousand as you said. i actually worked with dealerships, that is why I know bit about them.

9. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    They are very corrupt. Depending on the contract even after a dealer signs a clean bol they have 48 hours to report a claim . United road is notorious for letting the customer do what they want . 9 months after you deliver the car you get billed a damage. Car hauling is a very unique trucking job but you'll have to decide If all the stress is worth it . 10k seems to be a safe number of what you will spend annually on claims hauling new cars. That information has been given to me from companies and guys that own trucks. If you budget to spend that every year you'll be fine

Sadig Thanks this.
  10. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    I've been hauling cars for 26 years and I doubt I've had 10k in claims in total. Maybe a local guy running new cars from a rail yard may have that much in a year but I think it would be the exception, not the norm.

Tall Mike and Hammer166 Thank this.
  11. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    $10k in claims? Wow! Id have been out of the business year one if Id have ever got close to that number. Im in my 12th year and thank God I’m no where close to anything like that number in damages. But keeps those decks down going under the bridges.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.