New to pulling reefer and have some questions.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by twelve25oh9, Nov 9, 2021.

1. twelve25oh9

twelve25oh9 Bobtail Member

Oct 4, 2021
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah, I came into this thing looking for miles and you’re very right…they gave me 4 days to get from Chicago to Salt Lake. I rode hard and got there with a day to spare so they had me drop it in their yard for someone else to deliver and kept me rolling, and almost two weeks later, I haven’t had more than 14 consecutive hours off duty. So far so good. Thanks for the heads up about Walmart.

Speed_Drums and DRTDEVL Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Not every reefer outfit is the same .
    I've been leased to the same reefer company in omaha for almost 5 years and we don't do business with anyone that wastes our time on the shipping or receiving end ..
    ..once maybe and we are done .

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is good to hear there is companies out there that look out for their drivers . few and far between.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Yep. Our guys are usually in and out, as they know we will hound them for an eternity to get detention (and usually get it, too). The drivers stuck usually don't mind too badly because whether we get detention from the customer or not, we're paying them, no matter what. They know they don't have to fight for it, and will just hop in the sleeper for the potential to get a split 10 (and save their 70).

D.Tibbitt, Speed_Drums and bzinger Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Lol I recently heard one of our receivers considers timely unloading of our trucks much more preferable to the wrath of our chief dispatcher who is equally unpleasant to everyone .
    My company is a very old one ( 1932) and is very picky about who they do business with ....3 strikes you're out they won't see us again.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  7. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    We've been around since 1940.

D.Tibbitt, Speed_Drums and bzinger Thank this.
  8. Schnoodledorfer

Schnoodledorfer Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2020
    I heard from a podcast that sometimes weight distribution can be an issue. IDK anything about that because I drive tankers, but am curious about reefers. How much of an issue is it moving the 5th wheel and sliding tandems?

9. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    It’s also good to know if the place you’re picking up at will require a washout receipt before loading you. Especially if there isn’t a washout in route..

twelve25oh9 Thanks this.
  10. DRTDEVL

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Once the 5th wheel is set, it is rare to have to change anything, As for the axle weights, slide to the maximum length allowed based upon where you are traveling, and then weigh it with at least a half load of fuel. Most shippers are used to reefer weights, and will generally try to load a little more tail-heavy to account for the reefer unit.

Pamela1990, D.Tibbitt and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  11. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    1. The office will usually tell you when you check in if you need to pay the lumper. Most of the time will give you the cost right away and you need to pay it before they start unloading you. Some accept cash/debit but most use EFS or Comcheck only, you'll have to go through your company to get the authorization code for the check to give to the office. Than you have to submit the receipt with your BOLs (as proof that's where the money went) or the company will deduct the lumper cost from your pay.

2. Appointment flexibility depends on the location. Some will accept you hours early, others are strict. Best thing to do is look up the place on Google maps and read the reviews. Other drivers who have been there will post about their experiences like if they where able to get in early or not. Checking Google reviews for every place you're going to is a good habit to get in to. These reviews can also give other details like check in at door xxx.

twelve25oh9 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.