New to tanker..tips,advice,etc

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by FreezingHot32, May 1, 2024.

1. FreezingHot32

FreezingHot32 Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    Hey im taking my talents to the tank!!! Im 6 years in the industry mostly dry van, reefer, and container work. Recently just parked my trucks after losing my backside lol and signed up to get risky. There is Trimac within 10 miles of me thats where im starting my journey. I eventually think I wanna haul gas or def but what do I know....I do have an automatic restriction if that plays any part in the advice and tips. Oh yeah I stay in the upstate of South Carolina near greenville and spartanburg. All advice tips and life lessons are greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Pay attention to the training, ask questions every time you don't understand and always use your protective equipment.

Complacency WILL get you hurt!

Those few who I've seen hospitalized failed to use the PPE provided.

PPE has ONE purpose; to get your tookus out of a jam and it cannot do that one most important function when left in the truck.

Take your time and be safe and make sure you really understand what you are taught.

It is NOT 'rocket science'; a trained cave man can do it!

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Do you already have a job lined up with Trimac?

If so -- what routes will you have?

What fluids will you be pulling?

Any hazmat?

How often will you be back home?

-- L

5. FreezingHot32

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    It’s a regional position, they say out between 1-4 days, but I think I’ll ride along local for the training period. Not sure on routes or what fluids tomorrow morning will be my 1st day with actual training I’ve been taking tons of courses the last week on the computer.

Matthew.Mays1 and TX2Day Thank this.
  6. FreezingHot32

Feb 15, 2018
    Upstate SC
    Yes I’m definitely respecting the possible danger with the product I hope I don’t bug the trainer with all the questions

Matthew.Mays1 and wis bang Thank this.
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That's exactly what you're supposed to do during training. Their job is to teach you, and your job is to learn.

Also, go to my profile and click on the Information tab. There are links to some posts I have made in the past that you might find helpful.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If Trimac will hire you (in the current freight environment)....& they have a terminal about 10 minutes from your present location -- then that is probably a "no brainer" place to start life in the tanker segment. :confused:

Do keep us posted on how things go for you. There are scant posts/threads here on any recent life over at Trimac (or at other tanker fleets, for that matter).

-- L

Last edited: May 2, 2024
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    I started any new trainees with this statement:

"The ONLY stupid question IS the ONE you DIDN'T ask!"

Also, don't answer questions without thinking what was asked and making sure you understood the question.

A communications seminar yeilded a great tool.

When asked a question, repeat the question which lets the speaker clear up any missunderstandings before things go awry.

The second day I expected the trainee to remember what was covered on day one and their success or failure at these bits would tell me if they really were listening/learning.

10. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Double check at the “point of no return” make sure right tank, right product.

should’ve already made sure room with cushion

“Point of no return” is after hoses hooked up but before opening ANY valves.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Reason for edit: Added info
  11. Lav-25

Lav-25 Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Like the man said - bug the hell out of the trainer !!! When i train i show what i know and then have you do it . Just sitting there nodding without writing it down wastes my time and yours.

FreezingHot32 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.