New truck driver hit utility pole

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Atlas922, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    This makes no sense. It happened at 4 am and yet the residents had time to get out of bed, get dressed and move their cars before he had time to take pics and before the police arrived? He's been through CDL school and caught that trailer before the tandems? Well I wasn't there so won't beat this to death, but it seems very odd.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Well, we were all new and learning at one time. I made my share of stupid moves myself. Heck, I tore down 100 feet of razor wire at the Iowa women’s prison. You shoulda seen my truck, it looked like a big wire birds nest. But I digress. ...anyhow, what you need to learn is, safety is no accident. I know that sounds cliche’, and meaningless, but I’ll explain.
    Everything you do has to be on purpose. Think about each move, always chose the safe move. Not the safest. The safe move. If you can’t do it safe, turn on your flashers, pull the brakes, and get out and survey the situation. If you have to knock on doors, wake people up to move cars, or trucks, then so be it. Always make sure your legal and not going to hit anything. Safe is a conscious decision.

4. Atlas922

Atlas922 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2020
    The tire exploded and people got out when they heard the bang while I was talking with 911 because they know they weren't supposed to park on the street cause of the signs, I'm not the first truck to hit that pole they told me happens often but not as bad as I did it, that happened only couple times

5. Atlas922

Atlas922 Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Yes that is exactly what I'll start doing play it safe, saves lots of headache and heartache

SoulScream84 and sirhwy Thank this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Well yeah, you really cut the corner short. Even more reason to stop (or not even attempt to make that turn) and move your mirror to get a clear picture of what is going to happen. The fact it was dark makes it even more imperative for you to get out and look. Now I am not perfect. I creased the back of a van with the swing of my trailer in something akin to what you did. I got there early, but the parking lot filled up with cars and no one wanted to move them. I thought I could get out. I was fixated on not hitting the cars parked in front of me and forgot about the swing of the trailer (I had the tandems way up). Just saying you really cut that curb. But you know that. Lesson learned hopefully.

Atlas922 Thanks this.
  7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    This is why you see a lot of companies require 2 years experience when they’re hiring. Because, and I’m not poking fun, they don’t want to deal with these kind of mishaps. And what I mean is they know this kinda stuff is gonna happen, and it does happen. You’re a new driver learning the ropes, and this is a rope. Simply put you know you screwed up, you know what you did wrong, and I bet you’ll approach this scenario differently next time. Lesson learned, and that’s what gaining experience is about. Yea it sucks right now but try not to harp on it. It happens. I tore up stuff too when I was just getting out there. You’ll be alright. Sounds like you’re company isn’t crapping kittens about it either, so don’t sweat it. Honestly, in the long run, the ticket is the worst part. As you said, if you can get it reduced, I think that’d be a good way to go. Just my $0.02. Keep your head up.

8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Goes back to my old motto

If the steering wheel is turned do not take your eye off that inside turn mirror.

10 mph was 9.5 mph to fast.

It’s like I teach people to dock boats.

Slow and Easy.

Slow is little bumps and scratches

Fast is Crunches and checkbooks .

9. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    No worries man. We’ve all made stupid mistakes at the begging . Not all to this extent, not all got noticed maybe. You will be fine.

DoubleO7, Speed_Drums and Atlas922 Thank this.
  10. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    #### Pennsylvania I hate my state I hit a stop sign they always write a ticket for everything #### democrats not a big deal
    Tho

Atlas922 Thanks this.
  11. asphaltcowboy4x4

asphaltcowboy4x4 Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2018
    and I can find another job may not be great but that stuff happens

Atlas922 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.