"new" used truck "in transit"? HOS?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Rolling18, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Rolling18

Rolling18 Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    This is what I'm thinking about... it totally contradicts what has been said so far... and thats what I need clarification on...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Call a scale enroute ask what they require.....a bobtail policy(temp for sure)
    And as previously mentioned a dealer will give you temp tags will get you anywhere....
    Def run a logbook though mo dot told me you are tech a transporter at this point.....but I may have lost a log book or two once I got the truck leased on and the eld was installed ....if you purchase private party your bill of sale gets you to state line after that you need a permit in each state you roll thru ...most transporters charge 2.90 a mile but must be scheduled about two weeks in advance

Rolling18 Thanks this.
  4. Rolling18

Dec 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Yes.. Dealer temp
    luckily I dont need to run ELD once back home its intRAstate only.
    2.90 mile adds up FAST from NC to Port. OR!!!

5. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    2.90 was apiggyback rate I was getting two for that price

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Jump through all the hoops you want for fun, if that’s what you’re into. Go to great lengths and research and spend money on permits and forms and stickers and party hats too.

I called MODOT before taking a bobtail out to Georgia 2 months ago. Across 6 states.

Proof of insurance. Bill of Sale says you didn’t steal it. Remove all previous decals. Roll.

You’re buying it to convert into an RV for personal use. Or for your brother. Who cares? Not hauling anything, not making revenue.

This actually goes to show how brainwashed with regulation we’ve become. We’re so used to being told we can’t do anything that we find complicated ways to paralyze ourselves instead of just simplifying the task and doing it.

7. Rolling18

Dec 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    for sure! i DEFINANTLY dont want to go through all that crap!! thats why I started this thread...
    and yes the dot/ fmcsa have got us paranoid for every little thing

D.Tibbitt and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    A friend was bobtailing a large sleeper truck to orientation and had Oklahoma scale pester them about an IFTA single trip permit, but directed him to a website and let him go on his way. He couldn’t figure it out so didn’t bother.

I still think the scale officer was wrong. I would simply avoid any mention of trucking.

If anyone has a link to actual regulation that refutes my understanding of moving a personal vehicle that you’ve just purchased, I’d like to see it too.

D.Tibbitt and Rolling18 Thank this.
  9. bigdad7

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    In the least I'd run a paperlog book ....in my opinion they are minor hoops and the trio permits are cheap it's best to make the guy that writes the ticket happy ......and they will write the ticket ...but maybe it's different for me because all my trucks are purchased by my LLC ...that rv argument could get you in triuble

10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I would make sure the the truck is inspected and have the paperwork with you,
    have it insured
    carry a log book
    and to be extra safe, every time you cross a state line, stop and re-fuel as soon as you can and keep the reciepts, it could be favorable to you from the trooper in case you are stopped.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So your advice is to run illegal when the op specifically asked what's required. He knows he can run illegal so why even bother to mention it?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.