Newbie wanting to get into the LTL game

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by cbqsd9, Dec 29, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    but the ATA said we are having a driver shortage, read it almost every week in Transport Topics..bunch of scum bags

road_runner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    Hahaha! Yeah I keep hearing that too. What a joke!!! They need to add in "only bottom feeder companies are having a driver shortage"

4. cbqsd9

cbqsd9 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Viola,Il
    FedEx Frieght has a driver training program so you dont need to have 1 year it just help makes you exempt for the driving program. the UPS director of HR in davenport,ia
    told me they be hiring in april for seasonal driving so i guess i could see about giving that a go. UPS is one of those DAMNgood jobs.

5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Must be based on where you live. UPS and FedEx are impossible to get on board with here in Montana. All the guys that run up here with those two carriers have been there for ages. Same seems to be with Conway. All I can say is that I am green with envy over their equipment they run. I have never ever passed one of their trucks that wasn't broke down. Totally hating on all those guys. My junker goes 0 to 60 in 5.5 minutes. Hate hate hate!!! :angry3:

6. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    CBQ, heres my suggestion on UPS (freight side anyway). Start going in now and fill out any and all paperwork they may be willing to give you (they usually do all hiring of the net though).
    Start small, apply for their dock cdl job, this will put you in the door and still have the ability to drive. In this position when driving it would mostly be P&D with a few road trips thrown in here and there.
    Once in the door you can transfer over to the road, the first year is hell pay wise, 2nd is much better than any otr gig out there and top out,well you can figure that one out.
    Not sure about family for you but benefits there are better than anything ive eve seen before and as in any company theres quite a bit of BS but nothing worth discussing. Good luck.

7. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    NC
    Butte, MT has openings occasionaly, I remember a linehaul job was on there for about a year
    It's not on there now but, keep checking atleast once a month
    https://jobs-freightinc.icims.com/jobs/intro?hashed=0

road_runner Thanks this.
  8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Thx sharpshooter. I live fifty miles east of the pass. I know Roadway and FedEx got a terminal in that town. Until then, I will stick with my current carrier. They've only been good to me. I am just upset about our hand-me-down gear we got.

9. MittRomknee

MittRomknee Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Palm Desert, CA.
    I work for FedEx Freight..Been here since the Viking days..As some other posters have said, we are cutting line haul runs and consolidating terminals. We do NOT train drivers anymore. Your best bet, if you find an opening, is to start as a city P&D driver. The hourly wage is good, you will have a life and it's a foot in the door. We do require doubles/triples/hazmat. Good luck.

10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Medium Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    NC
    They still have alot of driver apprentice jobs posted

11. MountainWind

MountainWind Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2012
    I saw the same thing. They posted one in Nov, and another this week for Driver Apprentice in my area. Thinking about applying, but if they are not training drivers, then I would look elsewhere. Why would they advertise this job if not training???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.