No mileage pay in California

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Copy Cat, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Laroah

Laroah Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Here and there
    As long has you have the hours to operate youd be fine. You’d have to do the legal 10 hr off before starting your clock on your day off(extra day) and you couldn’t exceed your weekly allotted hours. Then reset Sunday and back to work Monday. If you’re at the same after 50 overtime company as me, this is a very regular occurrence as all our mileage pay is considered trip pay. From point a to point b trip pay. They wouldn’t pay you hub mileage if you decided to stop 3 miles past your destination to your favorite truck stop and back. So you’d get paid the trip mileage pay, regardless of if it takes you 3.5 or 4.5 hrs to get there.
    Weekends are where there’s usually an abundance of leftover freight. Dispatchers love p&d that run extra. Helps the company overall, helps the dispatcher move freight, helps the employee get a couple extra dollars. Where I’m at, weekend warriors are sometimes required if say for example you got cut one day for whatever reason maybe due to weather. They might expect you to run a 6th day, or at least make yourself available to in case they need you. Sometimes they don’t after all.
    long story short:
    If you have the hours and they have the freight, absolutely
    Linehaul only pays hourly for a few things, but In the event you did acquire a couple hours of like breakdown pay: you would get however many hours after your 50 as over time…they just might not like that it couldn’t be helped that it turned out that way. Plus it would actually be ideal bc breakdown pay is kind of a joke so overtime on breakdown still wouldn’t be worth it but definitely better than nothing

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    My barn is union and every other week they post a weekend work signup sheet in the break room. We sign up by name plus employee number to establish seniority.

I used to volunteer religiously cause it was all OT with 4 hours of minimum pay no matter how early you got done. Then this one jackhole kept bumping me only to not show up for his shift. Of course there were no consequences because it was volunteer work.

What really sucks is had they just gone behind everyone's back and offered the gig to me, they would be on the hook to pay out all 50 drivers over me for not offering them the weekend run.

So I got tired of getting bumped while the other idiot kept putting his name up without showing up. My travel agent asked me if I could keep my name on the list in case Mr Absent doesn't show.

"I'm ain't your holla back girl, sir".

Cardfan89, dwells40 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The “jackhole” in question should never be allowed to sign up for weekend work ever again.

Gearjammin' Penguin and Laroah Thank this.
  5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Not going to get into dynamics of the setup of my barn because I don't want to run afoul of the TTR rules.

But yeah, you can do that. You can bid on a weekend shift and not show up without any recourse. And yes, this jackhole should be taken off the list but we can't. Two weeks ago we had two runs and me and Mr Absent signed up for it. I was the only one that showed up and I agreed to run a double turn after he failed to show up.

Cardfan89, MACK E-6 and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.