none of the accidents i thought would be on my record didnt show up on psp report

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by marvelousmack, May 27, 2021.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    An accident as defined by the FMCSA in 390.5 MUST be recorded in that carrier's accident register. Any "accident" that falls outside the scope of 390.5 can be called an accident or an incident based on that carrier or their insurance company rules. Incidents can also be broken down further into "in-house only" and incidents that follow the driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. marvelousmack

marvelousmack Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2021
    so the first incident is a not at fault accident. i got hit by a truck. my front was badly damaged but it obviously wasn't my fault. but my truck had to be towed and obviously there was damage so that's definitely an accident. the second thing. someone claims i hit their parked vehicle. first they claimed i swiped it. then they claimed i backed into it. i didn't deal with any police since they called to my job and reported it. I was never even aware i hit something. I would have most likely felt it. I didn't deal with any police report or police on my part. My boss just said he took care of it whatever that meant. Im just surprised none of this is showing up.

Rideandrepair and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Meh, I wouldn't sweat any of that crap. I once had a Floridian call the boss and said I bit them. Can you imagine? ME, biting a Floridian? I'd just a soon be dead first! Oh wait..., well, you know what I mean!

5. marvelousmack

Mar 5, 2021
    yeah that wouldnt be a smart move on your part haha

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. marvelousmack

Mar 5, 2021
    well what im thinking is maybe its possible when a company settles with a person claiming you damaged their property then maybe it stays inside the company internally and that's why im not seeing anything on my background checks. Im referring to my second incident if the person did get some insurance money out of my company even though i say i didnt hit ####.

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This happened to me years ago. I was accused of doing close to 25K worth of damage to a fixed structure. I was called into the company and had a meeting with safety. The company paid for the damage and because of the money being paid they had to blame somebody. I later was speaking to someone in safety that said the accident was downgraded to an in-house incident. Since then I have learned that place has a history of doing this. This is a fraud, but as a driver, I am way down the food chain. NOW! I can make some general comments. The company handled this correctly. They believed me when I said I DID NOT hit that structure. I also took the time to get that rig examined by an insurance adjuster that FOUND NO DAMAGE anywhere on it! Had they called me a liar I would have walked out. Yes, (redacted) happens in this business. It's bad enough when drivers actually do this crap, but it's much worse when someone or some company commits fraud this way! And, YES it happens all the (redacted) time!:angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4:

Rideandrepair and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. marvelousmack

Mar 5, 2021
    Wow so I guess that never showed up on any of your background checks, right? I wonder if my company did something similar with me

9. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA

Largely depends on circumstances beyond that.

At the very least, an accident wont be on your MVR unless police are involved, and even than it's questionable. The first being ruled not your fault is probably why it isn't on your MVR or PSP. I had the same happen long ago, speeding suv ran a red light, clipped my front end, and rolled several times. Driver was uninjured and admitted fault to the police. His obviously totalled suv had to be towed away but I was still able to drive away. There's no record of the accident on my MVR or PSP.

DAC isn't anything official, it's just a company offering a service to employers and truck companies have no obligation to report things to them or look at it before hiring, think it costs them money to use it as well. Guessing your employer doesn't use it and thus didn't report either of your accidents to it.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Sometimes I think I could hit my head against a wall. There are four basic databases ALL truckers might have data in. They are---

1. PSP/CSA With ONE VERY limited exception data gets put on this when a DOT officer does an inspection report on you that is sent in to the Feds.
    2. NCIC/DMV/CDLIS This is where violations are placed when a driver gets a ticket! It's generally a state thing.
    3. Hireright/DAC et al. This is where employment history ((((MIGHT)))) be placed. It is a company thing not controlled by the states or the Feds.
    4. Insurance CLUE, This one can be troublesome because almost every insurance company will place insurance payout information here.

If a driver has no PSP information this ONLY means no inspection report was filled out on the driver.
    DO NOT get these databases mixed up!

snowman1980 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    That whole thing is a real crapshoot. I was involved in an accident and it did not show up. I was not involved in an accident and it did show up. Here is a hint , say no to the government. Governments are nothing but problems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.