O/O's What are your thoughts? Would you use it? How much would you pay?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by starsonwindow, Apr 4, 2013.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Hmmm. Sorry. I won't be giving that info out. You will need to get your own load board subscriptions.

No carrier with any brains is going to give you access his/her load boards. That is crazy talk.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Never mind big guy. Truck is covered. The RGN loads on Monday. 9'-9" wide. $4.48/mile.

4. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    so then I should charge a set up fee? To cover the several 100 load board subscriptions! Glad to hear you found something, in my limited search I didn't find anything. Good luck.

5. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    One outfit I almost leased to would charge a flat $65 per booked load. The goad of this company was for the owner operator to get their authority and the dispatch would act as the back office. You may want to try a flat fee for this idea of yours. Many of the factoring companies out there probably started like that. Just an idea.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Personally I wouldn't pay anything for it. Already a percenatge off the top being leased to a company. I have always believed if a person is not willing or able to put in the effort to find and negotiate their own rates they will never reach their full potential. I know there are some out there who are good at it, and likely some rare dispatch services who do a good job.. ..but they would be rare and I doubt very seriously they'd even come close to what I do on my own, or anyone out here looking out for their own self interests. Most of them would probably choke on their coffee if they ever heard some of the quotes I bid and end up landing.

7. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Rolling Coal, That is good, And you are good at what you do, But there are several O/O out there that don't have the resources or time that you have, see my services will nail the best rates because I would be working off a percentage so the higher the rate the more I make as well as making the O/O happy with the rates that I am able to find as opposed to them taking the time to find a good load rather then taking what they can find in a short period of time.
    See you know what you have to do in your 14 hours of work everyday so I'm sure in your 10 you try to sleep and refresh yourself and then you "Roll Coal" on down the road. I save the AVERAGE O/O time and stress of trying to find a load in his mean time or after he has unloaded. I am sure with my services that the average O/O can make an additional $10-15000.00 a year after paying me $8-12000,00 so if I do this 5-8 times for 5-8 drivers I have made me and my family $40-96000.00 a year with getting off the road and raising my kids rather then someone else raising them, Taking my kids To school rather then them getting to ride the bus or whatever else I may be able to do. Thank You for your input. I always appreciate your advise.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I wish it were only 14 hour days lol. You will too ;-) I'm positive you'll give it an honest effort and wish you all the best.

starsonwindow Thanks this.
  9. Pound Puppy

Pound Puppy Heavy Load Member

May 31, 2010
    Amherst, OH
    Too me, it sounds great in theory, but it seems like another hand in the pot. The broker you use takes a cut, you take a cut, then unless the o/o can wait 60-90 days to be paid they lose an additional 7-10% in a factoring service. Plus, imo you may have liability issues if there is a cargo claim or an unpaid invoice.

10. Billerd

Billerd Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Colorado
    Starsonwindow, IMHO I believe a good dispatch service is worth it's weight in gold IF they can find good freight. I say "if" because a lot of freight listed on the loadboards is already priced so low that a large percentage of it is not worth hauling. On top of the lower paying freight.... If you take a percentage off as well then it really won't be worth doing. I find my own freight off the loadboards. It does not take me that long to do. Lets say you find a $1000 load and you take 10%. Would I rather pay you the $100 bucks to book it for me, or spend the hour or two myself and pay myself $50 an hour to do it? I believe a dispatch service should only charge a flat rate per load or per week for the service they provide. When you come on this forum and start throwing numbers out about all the money you are going to make dispatching 5-8 drivers and pocketing up to $96000 per year doing it.... You are not going to make many friends. All I can think is that the margins are so slim right now for O/O's that giving you a piece of the pie on top of all the other expenses would be taking money away from my family. HOWEVER if you had a flat fee, say $150 per week for load finding, you had your OWN subscription to the loadboards and you were good enough to do the job then I think you would have a service you could sell. Get ten drivers to give you $150 a week and you will make $6000 a month. I never believed in the percentage thing. Most people say "well it is incentive for me to find better paying freight" really? I am paying you regardless.... I deserve to get what I pay for and not have to pay a percentage for better service.

11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    To top it off, what O/O that has their own contacts is going to share that info with someone they don't know?

aiwiron Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.