Oakley Transport

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by snowez, May 30, 2022.

1. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    Depends, everyone learns differently. I’d say that one could easily learn non-haz liquid in a week or two. Then, apply those fundamentals to hazmat. But, when things go wrong with either, but especially hazmat, such as a hose bursting or overfilling a silo, you better be able to act, and act quickly.
    Plus, every place you unload and every product you unload is different. Do the trucks have compressors? Is there air at the unload site? Are the safety showers and eyewash stations accessible? Filters? How recently have they been changed? Is there steam there in the winter to thaw the valves? Do you have a copy of the hazmat emergency response guide in the truck? Does the BOL have the UN number, proper shipping name, hazard class and packing group listed in the right order? And the list goes on and on.
    I personally love tanker, and especially dry bulk tank. I’m lucky that I primarily do dry bulk, but a lot of liquid bulk too, and occasionally a dry van, reefer or container load. I doubt that I’d ever go back to van only.
    Go in with an open mind, listen, ask questions, learn and have fun.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Maverick Griff and snowez Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I got no tanker training at all when I first started. I asked about it and was told that the customers do all the loading and unloading. I still hit up Youniversity tube to familiarize myself and was glad I did when a customer said I had to vent the tank because they weren't allowed to climb on top of the tank.

Other stuff I kind of picked up along the way.

4. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    If you want to haul fuel locally then why not start out doing that?

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Like He said...Fuel is it's own little section of the tanker spectrum and it's only relationship is the fact that you need to use a hose.

6. GreyBeardGuy

GreyBeardGuy Light Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Food grade like Oakley and hauling gas or fuel are completely different. Food grade is a smooth bore tank and gas is compartmentalized. Many fuel companies will train you as well.

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @snowez --

If you have 11 months dry van--Oakley Transport won't take you (yet). You need about 2 years experience elsewhere, first.

haz-matguru (above post) makes a good point--you can learn tanker (first) in the fuel hauling world (since that's what you really want, anyway).

That's what I did.

But get another year (at least) of experience where you are now.

Then apply at fuel haulers near your location.

Get that additional experience--first.

Trust me--later on, you will be GLAD you did. :cool:;)

--Lual

8. Redfish

Redfish Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2015
    One year experience is needed
    Requirements

To become a driving professional at Oakley, you will need:
    • All Drivers (Tanker, Dry Bulk, Dry Van/Reefer):
      • Minimum of 22 years old
      • Safe Driving Record
      • One (1) year of verifiable Tractor Trailer experience within the last five years
    To become a driving professional at Oakley, you will need:
    • All Drivers (Tanker, Dry Bulk, Dry Van/Reefer):
      • Minimum of 22 years old
      • Safe Driving Record
      • One (1) year of verifiable Tractor Trailer experience within the last five years

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.