OD hires from my school

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by 2BucTruck, Jun 8, 2014.

1. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    The line haul manager from the OD terminal near my CDL school visited our class. They hire from our school as long as we have an 85% average or better. Here's my question, I'm wondering if I should go OTR first with another company to get the experience (for a year), and then see if OD is still hiring later. Our family already has made the decision that OTR is not a viable long term option, so going OTR would only be a means to an end.
    Here's some things I've been considering that might influence my decision:
    1. OD to my knowledge doesn't have a rehire policy - if I wanted to experience OTR, I'd better do it first before joining w/ OD.
    2. My understanding is that even just 1 year of OTR will open more opportunities (kind of a moot point if I have a great line haul opportunity already available w/ OD right out of school)
    3. People keep telling me to grab that OD opportunity while I can. The line haul manager said he has like 100 or so positions that need filled (between line haul, combo, and P&D) immediately, so I'm not sure if that will be around in a year or not. I'd be interested in line haul. He said there's plenty of wed-sun shifts (two days off) open, that the mon-fri are more coveted. I don't really care if I took the wed-sun.
    4. I already have my tank, doubles / triples, and am waiting for the feds to clear my hazmat. i'll be done with school in about 3 weeks, when i test for my license.
    5. the otr company I'm interested in is crete carrier, for more background info

Any thoughts or suggestions?

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I say if you can get on with OD right out of school do it. A lot of graduates would love that opportunity right out of school.

wawtrucker Thanks this.
  4. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    No question about it, young guy with a family take the local job, you miss way too much OTR. Been there done it all, stay close.

SAMMY6969 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    dude!!! If u choose to be a truck driver!!! U should go OTR!!! u will not learn much doing the od.... Other than how to be a local driver!!! Butt butt!!! If u hv a wife & young kids !! Otr is very ruff!!! Hard on a wife & kids!!! My opion!!! This otr my opion is for single guys!!! But some vets on here will disagree ,, a lot can make it work!!! My opion has changed on this subject after looseing my wife of 4 yrs do mainly cause i was otr!! I love trucking i really do !! But it has taken more from me than it has given!!! What AM I DOING RIGHT NOW!!! OTR BABBY!! Lol gd luck !! Driver

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    You're kidding - right?
    This is a joke.
    Funny post - that's hilarious.

Dude - IF YOU PASS THIS ONE UP YOU'RE A FOOL.

The only advantage to going OTR for a year will be finding you hate it and appreciating OD even more.

Actually, I'm shocked they would call on a school. They must be desperate for drivers. What terminal in PA?

7. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Thanks for the response, and encouragement! :biggrin_25525: His business card says Harrisburg Manager, but technically the terminal is in Carlisle, PA.

8. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated! Seems like almost everybody is telling me to go OD right out of school.

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    If you find a starter company out of school that has a pay scale that ends up at over 55 cpm for ALL MILES after 2-3 years, then go there instead. Somehow I doubt it.

HAR is a huge terminal. Good luck.

10. 2BucTruck

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    What did you mean by HAR is a huge terminal, that a 'good' or 'bad' thing? ;)

11. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Doesn't OD have OTR too? I could be wrong. Do OD if you have a family.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.