Off Duty Time

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by gravelhauler, Apr 4, 2024.

1. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La
    If I'm passing by the terminal and need to go take care of some personal business can I log off duty, get in my personal vehicle, go take care of my personal business, then go back on duty/driving and continue my day? Also if I spend an hour off duty can I work an hour later that day? I've asked 3 people and got 3 different answers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    You can definitely be off-duty doing personal business. You have to be off duty at least two hours to stop your clock which extends your 14 hour clock the same amount of time you were off duty so in effect allowing you to work two hours or more later.

4. TMNTFan4Life

TMNTFan4Life Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Another question related to this. I remember a video a while back showing a Kansas state trooper putting a driver oos because he went grocery shopping bobtail using pc/off-duty. He said anything purchased for the truck such as groceries has to be logged on-duty. I’ve done that off-duty several times myself.

5. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Cops right and an idiot at the same time. Going to the parts store for the truck is not covered under pc. Going to the grocery store is not work related in anyway and is exactly what pc is for.

tscottme and flood Thank this.
  6. TMNTFan4Life

Oct 27, 2020
    That’s what I figured. When I was with Werner I remember they said to always log on-duty for buying parts or materials for the truck. Same for repairs & such. But this cop said anything purchased for the truck. I guess since the groceries would be place in the truck & consumed by the driver it’s essential for operation of the cmv & has to be logged on-duty.

This is why I’ve stopped using pc altogether with the exception of running out of hours at a shipper/receiver. The laws are so vague you can get in trouble using it for almost anything.

7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    #1 reason drivers use PC is to go buy groceries and to find a place to park after running out of hours waiting to be unloaded at a receiver that won’t let you park there.

8. TMNTFan4Life

Oct 27, 2020
    But you can’t drive the truck without food, right? Eventually your body will cease to function enough to drive the cmv safety. So in addition to being on-duty for buying groceries you’ll have to also be on-duty while buying a sandwich at Flying J. Also, while going to the bathroom, because that’ll eventually catch up to you as well. Anything to do with you being alive to still drive. Otherwise you can off-duty. Maybe you can go see a movie off-duty. Just don’t eat or poop while there.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  9. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I’ll make sure I log on duty when I go shopping at home to, if I die from starvation at home, I clearly can’t continue driving.

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  10. Jamie01

Jamie01 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    I believe you have to spend those 2+hours on the Sleeper Berth line in order to pause your 14.

11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Have to ask cop if you had to be on duty, or driving then to sit down and eat,
    Groceries are not for the truck, the truck don’t sit for a bologna sandwich, the groceries are for driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.