Offered a Job . . . Questions ?

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by Camaro Junkie, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Camaro Junkie

Camaro Junkie Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Albany N.Y.
    No I didnt. But it is what it is, the trucking Industry.:biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CRTTrucker

CRTTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I have a friend that started at OD a little over a year ago, started pay was somewhere in the $18/hr range...at the one year mark he got bumped up to $21/hr and some change. He does P&D work and i guess he is now looking at switching to linehaul there, i guess those guys make better money

4. longtrail34

longtrail34 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Camaro, How did you get a interview with OD. I called them and they said they want 1 year experience. Or did you go in after you got your cdl and they were willing to talk to you? I'm still in school and will have my cdl in a few weeks.

5. fluffypapa78

fluffypapa78 Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    If you have a chance to get in with OD take it, dont let it pass.. I worked there for 4 years, I messed up and was fired, and have regretted it everyday since.. you will work more than 40 hrs, but you will have great bennies, make about 80K a year, and if you are out of town on a layover run you will go to a hotel, no sleeper for you, unless you decide to team. They are doing better than ANY other LTL company out there, and continue to grow stronger.. Ive never heard of any layoffs, but if you break the rules ( and no one to blame but me.. I knew what I was doing, and knew what would happen if I was caught ) you will be fired, they have a very low turn over, you never regret going with OD.. after 10 years I can go back, and I will the second I am able

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Sorry to hear that fluffypapa78,

It's the best company we've EVER worked for, period. This will be our last trucking job.
    May I be nosey and ask what they dismissed you for? They are pretty harsh in that area, a local guy just got canned after 14 years for tipping a trailer over on the road, said he was reaching for something. Even so, after appealing the decision, I saw a thank you card from him to the terminal staff on the wall, thanking all for the 14 years with them.

7. Tuba

Tuba Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Midwest
    Looking to talk to any current O.D. Linehaul drivers. I am a 15 yr.+ safe driver with Fedex freight and have a good spot on a board at a hub, but O.D.is looking better all the time to me. I have had 1 interview and it was very casual and the boss seemed to be a hard-nosed but thoughtful man. Does O.D. really treat the drivers as good as I hear? Thanx for any info... this is a very tough decision for me.

8. CAbound

CAbound Bobtail Member

May 29, 2012
    Pittsburg, KS
    Yes, they are an awesome company to work for and I miss them! Once your in the door, it's like family. Pay & benes are WAY better than Fedex Freight from what I've heard.
    I had to leave due to medications leaving me unable to manuever a tricycle safely! When my hubby & I were team driving, I started @ $.46 cpm, then every 6 months my pay was bumped up plus a raise every September. Drivers top out on the pay scale in 2 years (I was at $.60 cpm when I developed this condition). Solo linehaul drivers top out at $.5383 cpm at this time, until August when they announce the next pay increase usually in effect in September.
    You get medical, dental and vision insurance coverage available to you after 1 month of employment (and they don't say "in effect on the 1st day of the month following your 1 month anniversary"); it is LITERALLY 1 month. If you start on the 2nd day of the month, your benes are in effect on the 2nd day of the following month so you're not waiting for them to kick in for 60 days.
    Also, very family oriented, and they don't have to advertise that because it's just part of their down-to-earth, common sense way of treating their drivers and other employees.
    Open door policy? I love those advertisements, then you have to jump through hoops to get resolution to issues you may have with those companies that advertise that slogan. ODFL doesn't advertise to recruit, they don't have to "recruit" (like Avon, Amway, most trucking companies). Open door policy there is they post the CEO's direct phone number to call any time you need. He may not pick up the phone as soon as it rings, you may have to leave a voice message, but he DOES return calls from drivers (usually within 1-2 days, maybe up to a week). Yep, they have an "open door policy" and they don't need bullet proof glass! (jk)
    ODFL realizes the drivers do the bulk of the work necessary to bring in profits so they treat them as a commodity & take good care of them.
    Not a tough decision when you look at how ODFL treats their drivers. :yes2557:

Layoffs happen occasionally at some of the ODFL terminals, but not all of them. Just check back regularly to see if they are rehiring the laid off drivers/employees. As long as you have good communication with them and on good terms, there should be no problem.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  9. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Umm you can double your pay with od as a linehaul driver and you only will work about 50 hours a week and be home with your family but it may be during the day since linehaul generally runs night and there financials are that we are doing so good we can not keep up with the freight

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.