"OH SHIFT" Steel Load securement?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by datnewnew, Jul 26, 2017.

1. datnewnew

datnewnew Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2017
    This video shows the re-positioning of steel that slid into a trucker's cab as he came to a sudden stop while avoiding an accident.

CLICK HERE for video. (skip to 8 mins for action)

Is there any way this could have been prevented?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    the video is over 1 hour long, i ain't got that time. so i fast forward to about the 8 minutes mark.

one, a headache rack, would have (or may have) helped stop the damage. maybe better (more) chains on the load as well.

i also tried to count the binders, seemed like only about 7???

the law(ruling) is one binder for every 10' ? but noting in the rules that says you cannot put MORE. i'd have a few more binders. then too, you are supposed to check the load after the first 25 miles, then what, every 100 miles after that or when ever you stop? (someone that does flat bedding can confirm or correct, thanks, as i do not flatbed)

so to me, not enough binders, no headache rack, but even as much more important, HAD HE BEEN PAYING ATTENTION, he may not have had to jam on his brakes, in the first place.

Airborne, snowwy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I don't want to make it seem like I'm picking on you, but a few of your facts are a little off.

Load was 31,590 lbs as stated by the driver. He's required by the law to secure 15,795 lbs Aggregate WLL (50% of load weight). If those are 3/8" binders and 5/16" Grade 70 chain, he has 28,200 lbs of securement in chain (4,700 lbs WLL for chain, 5,400 lbs WLL for binder; I counted six of each). More than the minimum and what the vast majority of deck drivers would use.

Because it's heavy, he's required to secure by weight, not by length. The length rule is two tiedowns for the first 10', then one tiedown for each other 10' section or portion thereof. The steel looked maybe 30' long. If it weren't heavy, he'd only have needed four tiedowns.

In both cases of weight and length, if the load is not blocked against forward movement, he would need to add an additional tiedown. Or build some sort of bulkhead.

A headache rack would only have slowed the load down. They are glorified chain racks. They are not designed to secure a load in place like a header board. Once it's moving, anything that gets in it's way is only taking away momentum. The idea is to prevent it from moving in the first place.

And load checks are required:

1) Within the first 50 miles (80km) of the trip.
    2) After 150 miles (240km), three hours or at the next change of duty status, whichever occurs first.

--

Best ways to avoid load shift (especially with steel):

1) Take what you are required to do by law. Double it. Then add 2-3 more tiedowns. Cover over 100% of the AWLL.
    2) Ensure those tiedowns are properly protected from the load (edge protection) and are always tight.
    3) Drive defensively, and predict problems before they involve you, don't rely on your brakes

This driver followed the rules, and in some cases exceed the bare minimum, yet still he had a problem. I'm sure the only reason his load shifted was heavy braking (like you said). No matter how good a driver's securement is, heavy enough braking will cause load shift. Once the braking force exceeds the total strength of the system, it will give way. And both chains and straps are only required to withstand 0.8g of forward decelerating force (I'm sure some manufacturers go higher, but one can't rely on that).

5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    That why I read TR - you have a depth of useful knowledge here from professionals that have been there - done that. Good stuff, guys.

6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I think the only thing that might have helped this guy's case would've been a bulkhead. I can't see cross chains helping this.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, i did go on record as saying i do not do flat bedding. all i am familiar with is the one binder per 10' ruling. i know nothing of what he said, "belly" wrap??? (piping..??)

in any event, you also say he should have had MORE binders like i did say. but i thought rechecking the load was done at the first 25 miles?? when did it change to 50 miles?

and you also pretty much said what i said (just differently), "pay attention to your driving"....to avoid slamming on the brakes.

clearly (in my mind) he screwed up.

1) not paying attention

2) not enough binders.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  8. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Those are sheet pilings. They have a male edge and a female edge and they lace together. The crane picks them up and the pilebutt lofts them into the hydraulic vibratory hammer. The crane swings the sheet over where they will drive it into the ground vertically. Then pick up another sheet and lace the female edge over the driven pilings male edge. Keep going til you come full circle.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I personally would cross chain this load. With it being only one stack an x chain would be very effective in keeping the stack from moving.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    We usually wouldn't stack that many sheets together Usually about 8 or 9 sheets then some heavy oak dunnage to separate another stack of 8 or 9 sheets . The way that is, they will need the big Pettibone Super 30 to grab the full stack and even then might not be able to lift it. Probably hold it best he can and have the truck drive out under it then dump the forks real quick so it doesn't up end the Pettibone. Otherwise will have to lift a few sheets with a crane and stuff some dunnage under one end then lift the other end and do the same for a smaller forklft or cradle rig it for the crane. Maybe they plan to cradle the entire stack off with a crane....

Pettibone Super 30--

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Lepton1 and datnewnew Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.