Oil Analysis (lead and fuel)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, May 27, 2022.

1. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    True and back in the cat days it was usually soot % that would start getting high. I used to run the Arctic cat oil (Rebadged Delvac1 synthetic) at 15k intervals without bypass. Shear was never an issue with that oil.
    If I were to do again 20 years ago, I'd double the interval by using bypass filters to keep the soot levels lower with far better filtration. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I'm thinking about decreasing it. I try for 12k, but it depends on when I get home. I can stay out just a little longer to push to 8 - 9k miles, and then change it every time I get to the house. It seems like overkill to change the oil so often, but I just want this engine to stay together until I can get another truck. An overhaul would cost more than the whole truck is worth. It's just about to hit 1 million miles too.

4. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Agreed. The lead is worrisome because of Bottom end bearing getting worn , most likely from the noted degradation of the sheared oil vis.
    The number on this sample is nothing extreme by any means but certainly worth watching

5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Highly recommend the synthetic and adding bypass filtration , it's relatively inexpensive and makes a HUGE difference in oil life when combined with a rugged synthetic.

Different engine but one of Mack/Volvos tricks for 50-60k PM intervals is their significant filtration system and incorporated large bypass filter.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    In that case - changing oil at 7-8k is cheap insurance if you’re looking to dump the unit.

I use the Amsoil bypass filtration unit with a gallon size filter. But a bypass won’t help dilution issues.

I’m not KR stupid on the oil issue, it just makes sense to me to run oil until it’s shot - and I sample to be aware of other problems that may not be apparent.

“Change oil every 12k “ is foolish to me.

“Sample and change every 12k” - much smarter.

“Sample every 10k and change as needed, noting any fuel/wear metal/soot/dirt” - is the route I’ve chosen.

But I’m looking to keep this truck a while.

7. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    You'd say bottom end vs cam bearings? Because I have new bearings I can roll in.

Yeah, I get that. Once I get my next truck, I'll do TBN numbers. But it will also have an engine I can easily rebuild in my driveway.

Question on bypass filtration - right now, I get a pretty clear look at what's in the oil. But if I add bypass and centrifuge, and it clears up wear metals out of the oil, then isn't the engine still wearing, but now I've lost the ability to see it through analysis? Like if I add bypass, and lead drops to zero, for example. "Hey, engine is looking great!" Meanwhile my bearings are about to spin, because it's all caught in the bypass system where I can no longer see it. Is that correct?

8. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Amsoil EaBP 120 is the one I use - less than $500, a lot cheaper and more efficient than the KR pumped brand, or the Kansas City based version with a messy filter change.

9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Ooooooh - good question.

As I understand, the bypass filters down to lesser microns than OEM filters do.

In my mind it’s filtering out silicon and soot, lead and copper are somewhat lubricants in themselves.

The larger particles are what causes damage?

Again - NOT a mechanic or physic major :)

10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Oh, it's a 2 micron filter. I thought it was a setup with a filter and centrifuge. Yeah, that should leave the microscopic particles in there for analysis just fine. Maybe a centrifuge does too? IDK.

11. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Get something with an 8V92 in it you could in-frame it in whatever parking lot or rest area you happened to be in at the time. Don’t even have to be home to do those.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.