Oil Analysis (lead and fuel)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, May 27, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    There’s a “Bob is the oil guy” resource that may help you go further down the rabbit hole.

I wonder if there are large fleet analysis on this subject (not that they’d share to us Outlaw single operators .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    What truck/engine combo are you looking to upgrade to?

4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yeah - if you have them, and plan on selling it - makes sense to roll in new mains, - what else would you do with the kit if you sold the truck?

5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    WS 4900
    or
    KW W9L
    Twelve-seven
    Pre-DPF, (preferably pre-EGR, but I don't really care about EGR as much.)

Obviously I would throw it on top of my "#### that gathers dust" pile. :D I'll see what lead does after this Majestic dump, and then the Mobile dump. So roughly about 12k more miles. I don't want to change my interval just yet, because I want to give the Mobile a good comparison to the Majestic and Delo.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I know how it sounds, but this is exactly why I don’t do oil samples. I did one on my Truck after I bought it. Right about 100k on the inframe. Then another at around 1.1 mil. Both were almost identical . I plan on another soon. I now have 100k once again on an inframe. I look for shavings on the plug magnet. Also fuel in oil by drops of oil on a paper towel. Any fuel separates out quickly, Oil changes at 12k are fine. As long as oil pressures good, and it’s not burning a lot of oil. Run it. Even if it’s burning oil, keep oil in it, and run it. Not much else you can do, at that mileage. Rods and mains, if oil pressures low. Or just for peace of mind. Maybe a couple oil changes at 8-10k to clean it up a bit, if it’s dirty. Otherwise trying to watch those numbers will drive you wacky. Cause more anxiety than it’s worth. I see no coolant in the sample. That’s most important. You know it’s on borrowed time. If it fails, due to a bearing or head gasket, it will just happen. Oil analysis won’t be of much help.

7. Joyce's Volvo

Joyce's Volvo Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2016
    You can run yourself looney by running samples and comparing them , seeing this sample being different from the others. I’ll guarantee when you change brand of oil it will start using oil. All manufacturers have a little something different in their oil, it’s okay to change viscosity but, not brands. Having dealt with this on numerous occasions over several years. Your piston rings are seated to a particular oil additive, they’ll loosen up and it will take time to reseat. We take samples to look for antifreeze and fuel if it’s suspected., otherwise when the filter is removed, it’s cut open and the element is spread out to look for metal or other foreign material. You should see normal wear but not larger pieces . If the oil pressure is good, (with no fuel or water ) run it. You may need to change oil at 5-8k for 2-3 times before it gets back to normal oil consumption. I run mobile 1300 15/40 in a 3406 c , made the mistake of adding a little something extra and it started using more oil ,now after 4 changes, it’s back to normal.

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sorts yes but when bypass starts plugging you'll see the wear materials accumulate.
    Leaving wear materials in the oil is counter productive for lubrication and wear reduction

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Generally yes but piston rings are supposed to be totally loose, any ring sticking is bad for wear and compression.
    The big thing that used to affect motors was the vastly different seal swell additive concentration, things have changed a bit in addition to the new high temp durable anti wear additives that replace zddp and do a much better job under high heat loads.
    Yada yada lol

Also agreed that you should start with good oil and skip all the additive scams.
    The Lucas oil scam is one of the biggest in trucking. Horrible predatory company IMO.

10. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    What year ISX?

11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.