Ok so I bought a truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cajuncowboy654, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Cajuncowboy654

Cajuncowboy654 Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2019

Rental equipment. Yes I do, I did it for 6 years then life took me away from it Wasnt an owner at that time

Service the offshore industry primarily. Pipe comes off the boat from the rig. Loaded on truck and brought to various yards. Also other equipment, ie, workover, generators, b.o.p and etc

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Well I be dammed.
    All these years I thought all that pipe
    For the oilfield was made in America.
    What was I thinking.

4. Cajuncowboy654

Jun 4, 2019
    Dont know where it's made at but I know once they are done with it in the gulf its gotta get back to the pipe yards to be reworked and rented to the next company

Our oil field is different than what most are used to I guess. The equipment is trucked to ports like Fourchon in south east Louisiana then loaded and sent to the rig in the gulf When they are done with it, it is brought back in and loaded back on trucks and sent back to the owning company to be prepared for the next use

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Even if it is, it still comes to us by boat. lol
    Most of it anyway. I know some specialty pipe is made else where. I hauled some north that came from germany iirc, and was supposedly worth 50 grand a stick. The sticks were over 80 foot long though.

6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Then there’s the coating of the pipe . . .

7. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Why not get your plate now? Or are you gonna rent a plate off of who your going to lease to? If you can , i would get your own plate. Company plates usually cost you more in the long run. If you decided to quit them they will want their plate back..even though you paid money on it. Insurance for your tractor shouldn't break the bank, unless your driving record is poor. Approximately 1700 for a plate, and 1700 for a years worth of insurance..like i say approximately.

8. Cajuncowboy654

Jun 4, 2019

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on insurance carriers you've used?

9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No hints on insurance, but if leasing to someone else, you will need bobtail (non trucking liability) anyway, and can go get your trailer with that. I would shop around on the insurance, it can get crazy.
    If you have not joined ooida, now would be a good time to do so, I think you can even get insurance through them, maybe at a discount.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I bought first trailer in Wi. Got title transferred and plate in Mi. It was tough because Mi requires a scale ticket of empty weight. A friend set his spread axle reefer on the scale, just enough to match my Trailers weight. Lol It worked. What a pain. I wanted to be legal. When I bought my second trailer, I just grabbed it on the weekend, slapped old plate on to avoid attention. But in reality you should be able to pull it home with clear title and bill of sale. No plate needed. Trailer is covered through liability coverage on Tractor.Since you’re empty or Unladen as they say, So called bobtail/ non trucking liability coverage, is all you need. Same as if you were pulling your boat or camper with personal vehicle. Any trailer attached is covered for liability. Replacement coverage due to Collision, fire , theft, is a different story. You might want to buy Collision etc. in case it gets wrecked on the way home. That’s up to you.

11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Not really an option for you, but I bought a trailer and tried to register it in new mexico, they had changed some stuff and were being a pain, even to the point of you can't transfer a title and register one in one day any more. I finally gave up and left, telling them I would just register it in Alaska and would have no more need for them as far as trailers go, which in their ignorance told me I couldn't do that.
    I mailed the title to Alaska and they mailed me tags and permanent registration, end of story.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.