Old Dominion Booms as Truckers Bust

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by Cybergal, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Old Dominion Booms as Truckers Bust
    7/17/08

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    nice article...

I wonder who put the polish on it - it reads like an Old D pep rally.:biggrin_2552:

I do not think they are immune to the same problems that are plaguing us all.

4. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Wichita,Kansas
    Old Dominion is without a doubt the best managed LTL carrier in the industry I've worked there 4yrs. They do things RIGHT. They are a publicly owned company, even a cynical Teamster can get a copy of the annual financial report just by asking. Perhaps You can pass it on to Your management, they might learn something.

dancnoone Thanks this.
  5. newbee22

newbee22 Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2008
    palm coast, FL
    i been hunting around to find the job requirements on O.D and if they hire outta FL state i can not find a thing so does anyone kno if they hire rookies and if they are a no touch load company or anything else anyone can find it would be a lota help cuz i been looking thew a lot of companys to see who i am going to settle with well thanks ahead of time

6. DayliteDean

DayliteDean Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Wichita,Kansas
    OD has several locations in FLA inc.Tampa,Miami,Ocala,Orlando,Jacksonville,FtMeyers,and1or2 I can't recall .All hiring is done by local terminal managers,You would have to contact them to see if they are hiring.Generally,OD doesn't hire inexperienced drivers unless they go through our training program,Most of the trainees in the program already work at OD[usually on the dock] At the minimum OD requires drivers to have a classA cdl W/haz-mat and doubles endorsments. Local P&D drivers make around45k to60k yearly, Line-haul drivers make from50k to 90k yearly with full benefits ,good luck.

newbee22 Thanks this.
  7. OntheRoad2

OntheRoad2 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2006
    od is a great company.. i work as a p&d driver... hour 10-12 and 5 days a week.. and no lay-offs... very lucky

8. truthful

truthful Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Old Dominion just laid off alot of linehaul drivers, including me. The total lay offs could be 1000 +, terminal wide. I was with them for 4 years, happy and secure. I drove long miles without complaints and had no accidents.
    The way they went about laying people off was not right! As soon as a driver came back to the terminal, they were told they were laid off immediately, no warnings or notices. However, their policy is you have to give them 2 week notice before resigning. I guess it doesn't work both ways! I know they have made alot of drivers angry. I am one of them!
    :biggrin_25510:

9. bambam

bambam Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I dont want to seem insensitive to your plight but at least you were "laidoff" which entitles you to whatever amount of unemployment benefits that may be due you. It appears that the latest ploy by some of the carriers these days is to starve you out for miles, making you sit for days at a time until you voluntarily go else where to make a pay check, there by releasing them from having to pay you unemployment. Additionally, some of these carriers are hiring drivers thru brokerage houses that perform the same services as we drivers perform but at a much reduced cost to the carriers. We are becoming more and more dispensible.Yes, there are still good companies to drive for that arent trying to find ways to undercut their own drivers. My company has eliminated all bonuses and vacation pay as well as contributions to our 401k plan. This is all done in effort to sustain their standing in the financial community during the tough times with the economy{or so we were told} If you were laid off, did they have any words to console you in regards to the possibility of returning to work for them once the economy turns?:yes2557:

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Even I have to give OD a thumbs up on their operations.

I'm sure they have their problems. But they are one of the smoothest run and dependable outfits I have ever worked "with". I've never worked for them, although I was offered a job.

And the drivers always seemed to be in good cheer. Even if you delayed them.

11. da kipsta

da kipsta Bobtail Member

May 31, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone talk to their o/o's? I'm strongly considering signing onto their container divison as a o/o! I'm seeking to find out what the money is like there annually.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.