One Year In......

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cman87, Mar 12, 2021.

1. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Here's the run down:

2 different jobs first year
    - 6 months otr
    - 6 months regional LTL (still employed)

Mistakes (all in my second job)
    -backing accident in parking lot. Had a spotter, but didn't get out and verify.
    -dropped trailer in yard. boss may not be aware lol. Always check locking jaw now.
    -nearly ripped trailer door off hinges. Only one didn't break. Only inches to spare on both sides. Should have used a bungee cord to keep it tight

Have an interview with OD for P/D job, but reflecting on my mistakes makes me question my abilities.

sevenmph and 77fib77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You need to get into a routine. Most everything we do is repetitive. Do it the same way every time. I pull a pneumatic tanker. When I unload, I start at the front of the trailer and work my way to the back. I do everything in order every time. Same when I'm done unloading. I do the same steps in the same order every time.

Figure out your routine for the tasks you perform and do them the same way every time. Then, it becomes second nature.

jinxutoo, slow.rider, sevenmph and 8 others Thank this.
  4. marvelousmack

marvelousmack Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2021
    if you dont mind me asking what is the policy as far as incidents for your current job? how many do you get to have until you're terminated?

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    It's learning from your mistakes & seeing areas you need to improve on (the near misses). We all have questioned ourselves in life, I know I have not just with trucking skills.

The beauty of living is grow & learn. Don't give up improve & keeping it moving. I had a bad year many years ago. I don't believe you would have hired me to ride your bike to deliver newspapers (obsolete now):D:D. I improved & kept in moving. I want you to do the same.

Apply to old dominion if that is who you want to run with. There is nothing wrong with some extra training & mentoring so you can get better. OD may be able to help in this matter. You stay at your other job improve & then move on. All the best to you on your journey

Lumper Humper and GreenPete359 Thank this.
  6. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    IDK. They're pretty forgiving, considering the places they have us deliver too.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  7. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    In my opinion it takes about a year to get used to driving a truck. Every day you are improving your skills.

8. Cobrakaiguy

Cobrakaiguy Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2020
    Dallas
    Alike others said get a routine, always, always check your fifth wheel, I visually look at the pin and go under the trailer to make sure it’s locked. Always get out and look, plus you are getting excessive, some places I get out and look about 30 times, but I haven’t hit anything yet.

Lumper Humper, jinxutoo and Lostmykey Thank this.
  9. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Thats not so bad.....really.
    You recognize your mistakes, therefore, its unlikely that you'll do them again.
    Nobody comes into this life or leaves it clean. You're in good shape.

10. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Are you questioning your skill or attention to detail? If you didn’t have the skill you would have far more incidents than what you have.. The incidents you do have are detail oriented.. somebody should told you that in trucking you trust nobody. Meaning if there’s a spotter still get out and look.. you walk into a store, before you hop into that truck make sure nobody pulled your kingpin. Your truck just rolled out the shop check to make sure they actually fixed what it was in for while not goofing something else up.( more common than you’d think) you’re also part of that “nobody” if you have to ask “did I xxx?? Double check it... it’s in the details

bbq247365 and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    ^^^^^ yep the devil's in the details

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.