Opinion: Truck stops should have short term parking

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I've always pondered this idea, sucks how when you're driving nights you can't really even grab a shower. I'm not the kinda person that likes parking at the furthest fuel pump and go in for a shower. What do y'all think about it?

Of course it would really never work since people would just take their 10 there, but if it was actually enforced I think it could work.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sirhwy

sirhwy Medium Load Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Central Iowa
    Sapp Bros in Council Bluffs Iowa has short term parking, and they have a guy on a golf cart that patrols the lot and manages it. Two hour limit on those spots.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  4. CosmoK12

CosmoK12 Light Load Member

May 26, 2020
    Sounds good in theory but on the flip side you’ll have drivers arguing that it’s a waste of a parking spot.
    I’ve driven many night shifts (pulling a reefer) and ive had no issues taking a 30 in the fuel island.

Canadianhauler21 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    AAAAaaarrrrrgggghhhhh! A self-admitted fuel island violator!!!!

I think this is a conversation with merit. Short term parking might get people (ahem) to get out of the fuel lanes. It will only work if enforced by the store. Take about 5 of those empty reserved spots and turn them into short term parking. It would be a good experiment.

6. CosmoK12

May 26, 2020
    Well yes, but at 1-2 am there ain’t exactly a line of trucks trying to fuel. At least not on my route.

7. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I took a shower once in the fuel island on the east coast. Believe it was flying J in NJ. Parked at the end, nobody was there so I didn't think much of it. Came back out 20 minutes later and the fuel islands were packed and I got a mouthful that day. Never did that again.

D.Tibbitt and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  8. CosmoK12

May 26, 2020
    Well there’s your problem. You did it during the day.

9. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    That's the problem with fuel islands. Can park and watch and see trucks seem to come in waves. They will empty out then 10 mins later have a line and empty out again.

alds Thanks this.
  10. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    I can't remember where I saw this, but I know I've pulled up into at least one or two independent truck stops back off the big roads in either Mississippi or Arkansas somewhere that had short-term spots like that...it was like maybe five of them, and the storerunners were some sharks about marking the time trucks were parked there (though I did observe one truck in there with his curtains drawn...I didn't stick around long enough to see what happened with him).

11. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I know many that either dive night or team who like to grab a shower or take a few extra minutes. Folks get shot or stabbed over parking now, so I doubt it would be enforced. Too bad folks can't be civil.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.