Opti idle, does it keep you cool when trying to sleep?

Discussion in 'Crete' started by fuel463, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JiggyFly

JiggyFly Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2021
    It takes a WHILE to get used to the opti idle. I've had this truck for over 4 months now and it still occasionally wakes me up with the shaking. If I had my choice for something else I would take it. CRete only has opti idle trucks.

Rocks Thanks this.
  4. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Earlier today, mine decided to run in heat mode instead of a/c mode twice, and it was 80+° outside. And now I have already had to restart my opti-idle 3x this evening because it has decided to not restart after it cools the sleeper down...when my cab gets into the low-mid 80’s and I wake up in a sweat, I get a bit irritable and cranky(or crankier). Plus, the new updated software they're installing will override wedging the throttle to keep it running all night, they say it'll try to shut down the engine at long traffic lights with the brakes released and in gear(my Wylie Mack Pinnacle would do that, and it was a PITA in traffic) And I don't know what's worse, it shaking you when it starts/stops, or when it decides to do it's parked regen at 2 am...the truck shakes bad enough to vibrate stuff off the bedside table for 10-15 min. And I will NEVER get use to it. They had it when I was here before and I NEVER got a decent nights sleep in the summer.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Rocks, Lonesome and JiggyFly Thank this.
  5. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Same here

Opus and Rocks Thank this.
  6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I have a hard time sleeping with truck idling... don't know how I survived teaming for 6 months 11 yrs ago...
    My last company had an APU and I liked it a lot.
    I am considering driving for Crete..... but would like to know more about this opt idle.
    Summer heat doesn't bother me much but in the winter I need 80F in the truck to be comfortable and keep that bunk heater on the whole time.
    I also plug a lot of stuff when I am not driving, laptop, cell, cooler (or refrigerator), electric pot for my cooking every evening, besides lights and radio on, and the bunk heater in the winter.
    What Mr. @supersnackbar wrote about his opt-idle problems, with engine shutting down in traffic and doing a parked regen in the middle of his 10 hr break is not what I would like to have in a truck....
    Has the company fixed those problems Mr. @supersnacker?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    I read another comment about this opt-idle saying the thing starts "1000" times per night and everything shakes.... :angry3:
    Going to visit the terminal here to check it out... but thinking maybe this is not going to work for me...

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    It sets out a warning tone and then starts the truck all by itself.
    And then when it shuts down, the truck shakes.

Rocks Thanks this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    The opti-idlers have a lot of issues. Sometimes you get lucky. The idler on this truck works.

But I can sleep with the temp up to about 80 if needed. Some guys need it ice cold. In that case, I am not sure.

Rocks Thanks this.
  10. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I traded to a newer, manual truck and the opti-idle works better with this truck, but the thing will still do a parked regen if it has to idle a lot. As for the bunk heater, you still have to set the opti-idle for it to run. The old opti-idle system didn't, but the new trucks are different. With a lot of bigger stuff plugged in, it will restart to charge the batteries more often, but you can turn the heat hot enough to roast peanuts if you want, it actually has a digital display instead of the regular old HVAC rotary dial, so it's a little more accurate. It still shakes the truck when it starts and stops, but it doesn't do it as bad as the old system did.

Rocks Thanks this.
  11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    The APU's also made some very low noise before starting... but never bothered me...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.