Organizing a flat top

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Samarquis, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Samarquis

Samarquis Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    Good morning folks,

This may be the wrong section to post in... But I figure who better to ask than the "experienced drivers"

I just got put into a new truck. I like it, I'm a big fan lol. 14 international eagle, 550 cummins, 18 speed, a little bit done up, etc

My problem is it is a flat top. 48" I believe. Which I love the look of, but I have little to no space for my stuff... Which seems a bit obvious coming from a bigger bunk.

I'm just curious if those of you running flat top trucks have any advice on organization? I have the big coleman 12v cooler because of its good reviews... But it only fits in between the front seats. is there a suggestion to downsize to? Do you put one of those organizer things over your passenger seat maybe?

I'm aware this sounds like a stupid question but I feel like there has to be a more comfortable and well kept way to have this.

I'm generally out for 2-5 nights a week in the truck so I need to have it packed to run

Thank you

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Take the passenger seat out.

4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Like Six said, pull the passenger seat. That & down size. You don’t need all the stuff you had in the big bunk truck, you only think you do.

MOBee, Coffey, Brettj3876 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Exactly. 2-5 nights out doesn't need that much stuff.

MOBee, Coffey, Brettj3876 and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Do like we did in the Mack trucks, measure and build shelves.
    Keep dirty clothes under the bunk in your dirty clothes bag.
    Clean clothes bag just has to move from bed to seat every night.

7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Not sure about the internationals but the Pete 48” still had a small closet and shelf, should still be able to fit a good amount of stuff in it

Samarquis Thanks this.
  8. Samarquis

Samarquis Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Maine
    No closet. Just a small shelf at the foot of the bed.

I don't carry a whole lot... Bag of clean clothes, shower bag, dirty clothes, my cooler, and some odds and ends as far as snacks tools and cleaning supplies. It just seems like no matter what I'm doing I have to move stuff from one place to another. It kinda sucks. I might bite the bullet and get a small cooler that fits behind the seats and do away with the coleman.... Just a bummer because I got it just a couple months ago to replace the one before it that burnt out.

I think I'll just learn to live with it lol. Can't pull the seat out either because I regularly bring passengers.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yeah right. All you need is one duffel bag and your cooler you could strap that cooler into the passenger seat.
    (EDIT)
    Was doing the phone text thing. Should have read, “They’re right” instead of Yeah Right. My apologies for the rude post.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  10. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    drove a small mid roof, for about a yr. I called it a "teamster day cab". bunk up against the seats.

out about 5-6 days.

every night moved stuff from bunk to seats. reverse in the AM. lol

it was cozy though. heated and cooled easy.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    @singlescrewshaker is in a 42 or 48in. I'd remove the front seat too if the boss doesn't care

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.