OTR Driver from Chicago Seeking Companies w/Great Pay/Equipment

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Espey127, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Espey127

Espey127 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Hello fellow road warriors,

I'm currently based in the Chicagoland area, specifically the northwest suburbs, and I'm reaching out to this community for some guidance and new opportunities. I've been an OTR driver since 2016 and have thoroughly embraced the lifestyle and the unique challenges it brings. Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a bind with my current employer who has not paid me for the past two weeks. I believe it's time to find a company that values my time and effort.

I'm on the lookout for a carrier that not only offers reliability and good pay but also prioritizes safety and uses modern equipment. Stability and respect are crucial at this point in my career.

Here’s what I’m ideally looking for:

Reliability: A company known for its integrity and timely payments.
    Compensation: Competitive pay per mile, including bonuses for performance, safety, and long hauls.
    Equipment: Access to newer, well-maintained trucks to avoid unnecessary downtime.
    Mileage: Plenty of miles to keep me driving and making money.
    Culture: A positive work environment where communication and respect are at the forefront.

If you have any recommendations or could share your experiences with carriers in the Chicagoland area (or those willing to hire from this region), I would greatly appreciate it. I'm eager to align myself with a company where my skills are valued and where I can avoid the pitfalls of unreliable employers.

Thank you all for your insights and safe travels!

Best regards,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Marten Transport - Homepage
    Earn industry leading pay plus loads of extras and plenty of home time. Count on high weekly miles for a big team paycheck. Enjoy a predictable schedule with daily home time. Over-the-road truck driver jobs available …
    ~
    Advantages and earnings include:
    • $1,400 Guaranteed weekly min. pay range
    • Top 25% earn $101,764/year
    • Late-model equipment (average 2 years or newer) with APUs, automatic transmissions, grille guards & more
    • Immediate detention pay - adds up to an extra $6,000 a year
    • Inclement weather pay = up to $250 per day
    • Layover pay = up to $250 per day
    • Weekend layover pay = up to $300 per day

Vic Firth Thanks this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Try Nussbaum hear great thing about them

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    There are some threads here on the Forum that are quite long.

Specifically, these are about certain carriers; judging by most of the posts there, the thread participants also drive there -- & generally appear to be content.

Since the thread participants also drive there -- these threads also offer a wealth of info on what each carrier has to offer.

Examples:
    • Fremont Contract Carriers
    • Climate Express
    • Indian River Transport

You might investigate these further.

-- L

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  6. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    If your looking for OTR this won't interest you but Linde has a tanker opening in E Chicago.
    Home daily w good benefits 5 days a week and you'll make 100K or more.
    Reputable company with lots of rules but basically just ask to be safe and drive safe. E Chicago may be to much of a commute.
    Check website for more info.

slim shady Thanks this.
  7. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Honestly I'm shocked at how many companies still pay 50cpm

ihaveaquestion and bryan21384 Thank this.
  8. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Honestly, Ive always liked running line haul for LTL carriers. Ive worked at USF Dugan, Midland Transportation, R&L Carriers, Estes, USF Holland, and a few others. I was at Holland the longest (3 years) but I think if I sold my truck and went back to work I would go to Estes.

You get to bounce around the country if thats what you want, or stay on a set schedule running back and forth. Depending on where you are, you have have some dock work to break up the trip which is sometimes nice (not my personal favorite but some other guys love it). Its mostly night work - which I LOVE personally (less traffic - quicker to get through construction zones) but not for everyone for sure.

Its an option. And most pay pretty good and usually pretty good bennies also.

Numb Thanks this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    If I'm in Chicagoland, they'd definitely be my first call.

I think the less experienced or the drivers that have had hiccups are the ones that get 50 cpm. I'd even venture to say that companies that are huge and go all 48 seem to pay a little on the lower side too.

10. Espey127

Espey127 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Thank you for all the incredible feedback.

Never done tanker, could certainly get the endorsement or any other to maximize revenue potential.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.