OTR Last Hoorah! At least for now…

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by visionarygvp, Feb 4, 2023.

1. visionarygvp

visionarygvp Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Brief backstory, I’ve been driving since 2015 got my CDL in 2019, so technically 4 years CDL as of now. I’ve been in school (college) and will be done end of this year. My plan is to step away from the trucking industry by February 2024.

After my spring semester I’d like to spend the next year enjoying the road, and taking in as much scenery as possible. It’s definitely something I’ve missed being local.

What I’m looking for:

1. Preferably no megas, but smaller outfit.

2. Preferably no driver facing cameras, or camera period. Might not be able to get both, but at least no to the driver facing camera.

3. Companies that take my 4 years TT experience into consideration, as opposed to starting me out with let’s say flatbed, with no flatbed experience with the same pay as someone out of trucking school.

4. Sounds corny, but I’ve never driven one of those old school KW’s, Pete’s, or a Freightliner Coronado. It’s been a dream of mine to at least drive one OTR once in my life.

5. I can drive manual 8spd, 10spd, 13spd. Never tried 18spd but have always wanted to.

I have a mix of 2 years reefer and dry van experience, and a mix of 2 years tanker (chemical and fuel), currently hauling fuel locally.

Any suggestions? I’m based in the Atlanta, GA area but again plan to run wild for a year OTR so I don’t care where the company is based out of.. as long as they don’t mind me being based out of Georgia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    You have tanker endorsement?? If not, think about Abilene, you can follow their drivers on this website. and what I can gather, where you live doesn't really matter.If you have a tanker endorsement, Indian River might be what you are looking for.

But, if you are going to quit after a few months, I do not know any company that would want to invest their time and money in hiring you. Now I know that with any "new hire" there is no guarantee how long their employment will last, "Uncertainty" is with any one, but with you, it sounds like it is "certain"

4. visionarygvp

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea I have my X endorsement. It’ll be at least a year that I plan to do OTR, I know it’s not common for people to be honest about their plans.. and honestly I could’ve just left that part out because a lot of people have been giving me flack for it. Like you said though there’s a lot of uncertainty in this industry, and honestly that’s my plan that by next February to hang up the keys.. but it’s not guaranteed though that’s my plan. I’ll check out Indian River, thank you.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  5. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    I found an 18-speed to be overkill, unless you're frequently pulling grades with heavy loads... a 13-speed was my overall favorite, followed by a Straight 10. On level ground with the 18-speed, I did a lot of skip-shifting... just my $.02 on 18-speeds, lol. :rolleyes:

6. visionarygvp

Mar 21, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I love 13, I’ll choose that over everything else.

cuzzin it and The Railsplitter Thank this.
  7. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    I always said that if I bought a truck, it would have a 13-speed transmission... that 470 hp CAT motor is a good compromise between power and fuel economy, it would pull a grade as well as some 500 hp motors. Much as I like the smooth ride of Petes & KWs, I probably would've gone with a Freightshaker Super Condo just for the room aboard the truck while living on the road. Meh, these are all moot points now, since my 'trucking daze' are done... but a hand starting out might consider these points. Oh, yeah, that maroon International I drove for awhile wasn't bad, it had the setback front axle which shortened the wheelbase of the tractor to 234", making it more maneuverable in tight quarters... little things like that can make life easier on the road. :rolleyes:

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    I always liked a 15 speed…
    Don’t see many anymore, but sometimes needed that deep reduction to take off on bad terrain.

visionarygvp Thanks this.
  9. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Not much difference driving an 18 vs a 13 since you can just ignore splitting the lower gears.
    The only place I split the lower gears is dirt roads in the mountains but then its really nice

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.