OTR not for me. How Do I get into LTL, Linehaul, FedEx, etc?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by sventvkg, Jan 3, 2021.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I found a company out of Starke, FL that does a 6 out and 2 home schedule. Davis Trucking. They hire recent graduates at .45 mile then when you get 6 months OTR they kick you up to .55 I think. I’m going to apply. It’s not Linehaul or LTL but gets me the schedule I want.

Muskie and T.Rucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    All of the LTLs require at least a year of experience. Some have driver training programs, but they aren’t at every location and aren’t always taking applications. Can’t hurt to bookmark the careers page for the LTL companies near you and check them frequently.

FedEx Ground contractors will take you with 6 months experience if you went to an approved school.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    OK, lots of local work in that area and lots of regional also.
    Now that we know, you'll get plenty of job leads.

born&raisedintheusa and sventvkg Thank this.
  5. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    yes for sure. If I have to that’s what I will do. With Prime I can come home every 3 weeks and I’ll roll with it. I have connections to get a 1099 job after 3 months for .60 a mile but it’s literally run run run!!! Killer $$. Might do that if I have to stick out a year rather than this.

Prime training sucks because its 60k miles which the way we are running is like 4 months, and you have to run the way the trainer does, you have none of your own stuff with you to fill the time etc...is what it is.

6. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    I went to Sage truck driving school at a fort pierce Florida which is 160 hours one on one training 11 four hour sessions driving with one trainer I mean it was a good school. I think they have others around the country like Montana etc. I have no problems driving or backing plus I’ve driven every other kind of commercial vehicle with trailers before I came into this career all across the country and back-and-forth from Alaska 12 times. I’m 49 and a very experienced driver.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Another driver in Orlando was hired by Fastenal. He likes the company and said the money is pretty good.
    These photos are older; Fastenal has newer trucks now.
    ~
    upload_2021-1-3_8-2-3.jpeg .[​IMG]

born&raisedintheusa and sventvkg Thank this.
  8. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Get in to city delivery. Lots of dock bumping and fingerprinting of freight. Our city drivers mostly start 6:30 to 7:30 am and are done by 4 pm, OT after 44 hours week.
    I work line haul so nights only although there are the odd daytime line haul runs

9. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    This isn’t a job interview where you need to prove yourself, I was just passing along the info.

FedEx has a specific list of schools that qualify for a contractor to hire you, I have no clue if yours is on there or not.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Raven Transport run regional and hires new cdl school grads.
    70 mph trucks and no cameras.
    pet/rider program.
    upload_2021-1-3_8-8-8.jpeg

11. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Jump in line with all the "couldn't cut it" drivers and find a dump truck job , or find some crummy local company . Less than 6 months is going to make it super hard, Forget about prestigious ltl jobs at this point .

Lumper Humper and sventvkg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.