OTR sitting threshold

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Loudstacks, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Loudstacks

Loudstacks Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    What is the normalcy of sitting for a load if the carrier isn't willing to deadhead you:dontknow:? A 34 here and there or at what point is it enough of this I'm here to work either deadhead drivers or pay but sitting in a truck for free isn't working out for a driver with hos (full 14s) to run and earn...

I hear some dry/reefer otr companies are shifting to salary positions due to this, at what point does it become a problem, obviously that's up to the individuals personal patience but a day not driven is a day lost to earn and you don't get that time back... if a driver is going to sit it should be at their preferred location not a stinky peelot with smelly landmines in adult diapers to walk around when headed into the diabetes food court? :biggrin_25513::biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's a problem as old as trucking. What else can you say other than "that's trucking"? The only solution is don't work for companies that don't pay for time. Your typical van or reefer company doesn't pay for time. Just how it is. And a $150 layover or something stupid similar to that for losing a whole day isn't paying for your time.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Loudstacks....

Your initial post is the main reason I got out of reefer freight -- & switched over to hauling fuel.

In the world of hazmat tanker -- you are usually paid for E-V-E-R-Y-THING you do, while you are on duty.

You are also usually treated MUCH BETTER by everybody involved -- shippers, receivers, etc.

It's just a more "grown up" world.

Just some food for thought there.

-- L

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    In addition to what @lual said, most tankers don't sit much because they're usually ready for it by the time you get there. At least that's how it is with petroleum, solvents, and dry bulk. I dunno about foodgrade or cryo, YMMV there.

Loudstacks Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    How long have you been driving man? You'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. Sometimes you will sit. If you're not the most experienced, you're gonna get put through the bull ####. You're not always gonna get to be where ya wanna be when you're having downtime. As you get experience, it gets better. Then you can go to a higher quality company that can keep you busy. If you're dispatcher isn't running you, maybe switch to a different one. Have a conversation with your company, don't come at them with the attitude you have in your post. If you do, they'll make it even harder for you.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    Loudstacks Thanks this.
  7. Loudstacks

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    Company policy is of there'd no freight around that's just that, comes with the turf! I recently left, was just curious to get outside consensus in addition to the people I speak to personally that drive. Thanks

8. Loudstacks

Feb 29, 2020
    Florida
    So basically hit the racks!

9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Not necessarily.

Hazmat tanker is a fairly broad category -- it's not just fuel.

Fuel is a good entry point, however.

Other carriers like to hire successful fuel haulers.

-- L

Loudstacks Thanks this.
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It usually depends on the company and their customer base or even the dispatcher. I've never really sat that much in all my years of driving. Now freight is not really at its peak right now, so that is a contributing factor. We've all felt the pinch over the last year or so. No matter where you go, there will always be a moment where you'll have to sit. Which reefer outfit were you driving for?

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    10 hours and I’m heading for the house,

TX2Day and hope not dumb twucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.