Out of service for log book

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jasonar15, Jul 30, 2018.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I have done it that way for decades. Never had a problem from dot, company, or outside log auditors. Drew line straight across line 1. Then down in comments wrote. Off duty jan 1 thru jan 20

wore out Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    Never done it on elogs, but I regularly marked large blocks of off duty days on one page on paper logs and never had an issue during an inspection or company audit.

The elogs we use have to be marked each day, but I’m sure others vary. Unless something changed that I’m unaware of, driver did nothing wrong. He had 8 days worth of logs...

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Sure it’s legal but if he just showed 7 days off then started with a 15 minute pretrip dot could start asking questions, was there on duty not driving time for orientation and other time before he started first trip.

As far a many days on on sheet I have done it that way for 25 years working for a company with a anal log dept, if they approved it ,it has to be legal.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    They don't put you OOS for a form and manner violation just sayin'

Mattflat362 and 06driver Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

No amount of training will fix the core issue, which is not taking things seriously enough to give them 100% attention. If this guy can't pay enough attention to not get logbook form and manner violations how can i trust him to pay enough attention to his permits or securement? This is how you end up on the national news stuck under a bridge.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah but I've made the same mistake and had Ohio DOT say "hey bud complete the line" and I did. I think there is more to the story than what the driver told the owner.

gentleroger and 06driver Thank this.
  8. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Clearly. He was placed OOS.

9. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    There may be more to the story but I just went on what I was told and you are a brave soul to admit you are not perfect on here.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    GPS. Oh the great and mighty wizard of all things directional.

*Snorts BS.

The one time I followed the GPS with that mindset in deep thick fog led our rig inside a satellite and celluar compound that is about 40 acres and anchor cabling and equiptment everywhere. The reason for that is they cut the original road turn intersection as a driveway, sod grassed everything and rerouted that particular road I needed around the compound further east about half a mile outside of the fence.

The GPS Map system did not update to include that particular change. (Rand Streets with GPS from about 1998)

That is the one time I will try a computer to tell me what's what. *Taps skull... from then on, everything GPS is up here in the mind. Out of the books and maps in one corner.

I can tell a thousand stories about putting a big truck down a road where I don't belong and the troubles and heartache that sometimes bring. Accurate directions defined proper is worth money, time and potentially not getting into trouble.

11. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Yeah that all mighty trucker GPS took me to the famous 11’8” bridge in Durham NC and wanted me to go under it. Glad I can read signs

Dave_in_AZ, wore out and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.