Over the road or staying at home?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucking.shine, Apr 7, 2020.

Are you guys rolling or staying at home?

1. Rolling

50 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. Staying at home

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. cjbrents

cjbrents Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I run a team truck, and we only work five days a week. It’s a great job with benefits, higher pay, and all of the good stuff one should love about a company. Going local, for me, with this company, would be close to a $45k pay cut.

These truck stops sell a really good 12-volt cooler for your truck. My co-driver bought one about ten month ago. We each spend about $30-40/week at the grocery store, bring it to the truck, and eat on that food all week. It’s better for you, plus you don’t have to worry so much about catching the coronavirus.

I’ve not seen problems with rest areas or rural truck stops, as for parking, showering, restrooms, or fuel. The “stateline” truck stops are usually filled to the brim with everybody, but that’s normal. Drive a little ways down the road, you’ll find one half-empty.

Good luck on your decisions, driver. Keep your head up! Things will get better.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    We should know soon how bad round one is going to be. Last weekend is when I started seeing a lot of people wearing gloves, face masks.

Still don't see truck drivers wearing gloves while fueling etc. Just saw guy at a guard shack at a huge food processing place in Mizzou handling driver paperwork and licking his fingers. And then on the way out he gave me a paper bag with some water and snacks in it. I threw it in the garbage. LOL

Maybe we'll get lucky and dodge the bullet. But I'm going to stick to my plan and keep my guard up and be cautious as this thing unfolds.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    well a few numbers. RO of COVID-19 is 5.7, influenza 1.3. Mortality rate of COVID-19 is estimated to be low end .25% to high end 3.5%. Influenza is .1%. So COVID-19 can spread 4x's as fast, and at lowest kills 2.5x's more people. Influenza annual at high end does 650k deaths. So COVID-19 could kill roughly 1.62 Million people. At the low end.

5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Definitely rolling myself. Haven’t stopped for a minute since this began. No Hometime, no days off nothing. That said, up until a few days ago I hadn’t heard of any other truckers coming down with this but that’s changed. A couple truck drivers that I know have been stricken with the coronavirus. And just today I’ve had chills heaviness in my throat and I’m sneezing. So I might be catching it too. The only exposure I put myself at is going into the Truck stops, a trip to Walmart, and a ride in an Uber where for the first time since this began I accidentally touched my face.

that said, every one of us is going to go through this virus at some point. You do realize that correct? Every doctor out there is saying it’s here to stay. So honestly you might as will rip the Band-Aid off and just go out and get this #### thing and get over it. They say 90% of us are going to catch it. And there isn’t going to be in the vaccine. Have they ever created a vaccine for anything that worked with viruses completely? The flu,? It’s usually 10% affective each year. LOL you’re gonna get this and so am I and we might as well just get through it.

Trucker61016 and trucking.shine Thank this.
  6. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    Yes, it' true... Almost everyone is going to get it... But I think the moment you get it is critical. Because if it hits you during the health care collapse is very different than when things get a little bit stable.
    And I also have heard more Drivers having second thoughts these past days.

7. trucking.shine

trucking.shine Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2017
    That's a lot of people dead.

8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    yeah, it is, but I am praying statistics are off. Because, while we don't have fully accurate numbers due to lack of testing. The numbers based on current known positive COVID-19, are more like 3.5% mortality. So that is 350 x's influenza.

I hate being a math nerd, too. I crunch numbers too much. But if the spread were to hit 80% of the world's population. And the mortality rate stayed between .25%-3.5% that would be a death toll of between 16-192 Million people. Let's hope statistics are wrong or the data is flawed at this point.

trucking.shine Thanks this.
  9. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Where do you learn about God? If it's from the Bible I'm not real sure how you come to your conclusions. If it's your own ideas I understand, however I do not agree. God is very interested and very involved with humans. If he doesn't love them, why did he die for them? Why is the whole Bible designed to bring men to the knowledge of him? Why is coronavirus happening today in the form of the pestilence that is one of the signs of the end of time?

God allows these things because they turn men's hearts to him. Unfortunately when life is going well, few think of God except when they are cursing.

10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    LOTS of people who wrote off God, who made fun of Christians etc turning to the Bible etc right now. Like people I never thought would in a million years are.

11. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I would not consider this virus an end time event. It is much too mild for that.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.