Overcoming being just a number to companies

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by barebear91, Dec 8, 2018.

1. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Schneider doesn't make newbies team under the guise of training

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Insurance companies/Lawyers/Lobbyists the industry my friend. Even with “small” companies lifes not easy and the bad thing is small companies have less to offer. Just go with whatever fits your current situation. Loyalty is not what it was 30 years ago so it works both ways. Put YOU first

BigDog Trucker and just_sayin Thank this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Two ways.

#1 Crawl so far up the terminal managers ### he needs a surgeon. That worked for me in the past.

#2 Have an unmistakable accent. This also works for me. I never have to give my driver number. :)

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Do the best you possibly can. Be safe, professional, polite, helpful, pro-active. You’ll immediately be in the top 10%.

Here’s a good one.

Ask other people - dispatch/mechanics/ janitor - how their day is. How their weekend was (even if you worked all yours) - and then listen.

You’ll stop being a number, and become “That polite young man that has a name”.

And if all that happy horse hockey doesn’t do it, then do what I did - told them to shove it and bought a huge noisy black 379 that I scream around in all day -

Leased on to a -

Company -

Where I’m . . . . essentially . . .

Just another . . . .

Number. :(

88 Alpha, C.S.T and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They don't remember the particulars about me, but boy! Do they sure remember that SOB who dared to fire his dispatcher for too many miles delivered. Or I turned a load of container asia furnature into a day trip into Ocean City proper.. they would certainly remember that. Or the manager I told off for being scardey cat about me being late. I told him you can fire me 5 minutes after I am late. But we aint late yet. Stop wasting my time standing here, we are late already.

7. Holloway132

Holloway132 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2018
    One way is to find a smaller company, where you can actually talk to the owner on a daily basis. I know this may not be an option for everyone, but it's better than being 1 out of 500+ drivers.

8. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Own the company

Lonesome Thanks this.
  9. willisl64

willisl64 Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2014
    You've had 7 jobs in 18 months. You've not given any job the time or dedication to become anything more than a number, no offense.

blairandgretchen and akfisher Thank this.
  10. C.S.T

C.S.T Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2017
    that was funny

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.