Parallel Parking Struggles

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CV66GMG3, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I hate hearing these stories about inept CDL schools. You pay a ton of money and end up feeling like you got robbed.

I went to Sage and unfortunately they aren’t in more locations. Pre trip stuff we worked on basically as a group. Everything else was one on one.
    Typically you were given a truck to practice one maneuver for half a day and then the second half was road trip with the instructor. Each maneuver got a half day and 1/2 day road trip.

Our class only had 4 students and everyone got one on one training and passed. Even the “Girl”
    passed first shot :)

One guy failed the driving part because he stalled the truck before getting out of the lot. Wasn’t a big deal though, next day he got-r-done.

My only shortcomings for testing out was not reading signs. I was asked what the sign said that I just passed and couldn’t answer. Funny thing is it has been the biggest advice I give new drivers..read every sign because one day you won’t read the off ramp 20mph warning and you’ll be out of a job.

Next is known your load and remember it. Paying attention for higher center of gravity loads and adjusting your driving accordingly. I hauled bottled milk for a couple years, full crates stacked to the ceiling and all the way to the rear. Taught me that some of those posted off ramp speeds didn’t account for what I was hauling..

Anyway, I don’t really advocate running over cones as a plan to pass the test. You’re better than that and all it’ll do is make you look like a dope. It may also make the tester look at you more closely..

The Railsplitter and Numb Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I know the feeling. I went to a school like that many years ago. They did tell you as they took your 4k that it is just to get your license (sad). They took a lot of 4k from the students. They were not good "instructors"(just because you didn't something doesn't mean you can teach). A lot of students got frustrated and didn't pass. I had the the permit and endorsements so I didn't have to waste time in the classroom (just log book training).
    I agree with you. We shall prevail and I did and you will too. All the best on your journey. God bless you taking your test.

4. Nahbrown

Nahbrown Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Illinois (the sane part)
    Sad. Our experience has been completely opposite of yours. Our instructor has demonstrated everything prior to us doing it.

Concorde Thanks this.
  5. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I am sure by now you've taken your test, but I've got a "If I can do it, anyone can" story for you.

In my CDL school, we had 3 students in our truck that would ride together. Me, a dude that was just trying to get the automatic restriction taken off his license and another dude who was green like me. The dude that was green was a beast in the truck. Could drive, back, anything you needed like he'd done it 1000 times before. The guy with the auto restriction was mad that he had to back much at all since he wasn't there for that, just for the shifting.

And then comes me.

My instructor did everything in his power to try to teach me what do to and it just didn't click. I mean NOT AT ALL. The only thing I could kinda do was a straight back. Kinda. Offset, oh Lord. Don't even try. Alley dock? Oh God just get out of the way. He finally got so upset he physically got out of the truck, slammed the door and yelled up at me after walking around the front of the truck, "You figure it out on your own, you're hopeless."

So here we are, just me in the truck, just me out on the pad. All other students are in the classroom, just not me. They got the backing down, but not me. So I just sat in the drivers seat and thought about what I needed the truck and trailer to do for me to get the result I wanted. I pulled the truck up, set it up for an alley dock, and NAILED IT DEAD CENTER FIRST TIME. I pulled back out. Set up again, did it again. And again. After 5 times in a row splitting the cones I ran inside (Yes I was basically like a young schoolboy with his first kiss that he wanted to tell all his friends). The instructor came out and said "Let me see you do this, I don't believe it." So I did it for him. Two more times. He walked off shaking his head, and said "I never thought you'd get it."

And for the backing part of the CDL test, I was the only one in the entire class who got a 100. Many got 99's, but not a 100. That was reserved for the guy that had the instructor tell him he would never learn how to back so he would never drive a truck.

So if I can do it, you can do it. At one moment it just finally clicked. I finally figured out what to do and once I knew, it was like riding a bike. I never had to think again.

CV66GMG3, Nahbrown and MIT Thank this.
  6. CV66GMG3

CV66GMG3 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2022
    I did get parallel down, and while learning it I intentionally gave myself lousy screwed up setups to learn how to fix. I tuned the instructors out, asked them politely to step aside and withhold advice. Nailed it every attempt last week.

This past Tuesday I dragged the program director into his office and explained to him my class wasn't getting the 90 degree training we needed to get ready for evaluations starting next week. He had told the pad instructors that 90 degree was to be instructed, but the pad instructors do as they please. By God we had no further problems after he laid the law down. Of course we get the RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT whistle blower no explanation instructor that likes to hustle students through the practice. Every time he blew the whistle or barked the direction I would put the truck in neutral, set the brakes, and get out to ask him why the direction change when I was tracking just fine on the approach to the entry of the hole. He's used to students just reacting and doing. After the first try, I ignored him and almost almost almost got it in. The third and fourth try was dead on. I do take my get out and looks and my pull-ups.

Opus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.